low cgpa,3.4sgpa,30MCAT,extracur +research. DO chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j018

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to know if I have a shot at DO schools. I got my degree in something different. I worked in pharmaceutical sales for 3 years & 3 years as an pharmaceutical sales intern(3yrs). After working in pharma I realized I wanted to go medical school but when I graduated college a few yrs back I graduated with a low gpa(2.56) due to major medical reasons.
I went back to take the prereqs since I didn't have any science classes with my previous degree and to increase my GPA. I have been working hard & I'm at a 3.06.
I have a 3.4 science gpa and I have also worked in research in public health that has been published. While in college I used to work as a dental assistant for an oral surgeon and deal with patients. I also worked as a lab tech.
As for my extracurricular's: I have held many high leadership positions within SGA. Besides that, I got a 30 on the MCAT. I also have 3 great letters of recs. One from a professor of mine who used to be a surgeon but now teaches after having his neck fused, another from a long term former client (he's an internist) and the other from my employer, the oral surgeon.

Does all my extracurriculars, research, work experience, MCAT scores and upward trend give me a chance?
My passion is medicine. Is there anything I can do to help reach my dreams?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am going to assume that you have a good upward trend because of your gpa going from 2.5 to over 3.0. Add that to a average sgpa, an above average mcat, average ECs with some above average aspects, I would say that applying smart and on day one would give you at least 3 interviews. In other words, for DO schools, you are fine. Good luck!

I think you're on the right track. I would do some type of volunteer work that shows your altruism.

Hi,

I want to know if I have a shot at DO schools. I got my degree in something different. I worked in pharmaceutical sales for 3 years & 3 years as an pharmaceutical sales intern(3yrs). After working in pharma I realized I wanted to go medical school but when I graduated college a few yrs back I graduated with a low gpa(2.56) due to major medical reasons.
I went back to take the prereqs since I didn't have any science classes with my previous degree and to increase my GPA. I have been working hard & I'm at a 3.06.
I have a 3.4 science gpa and I have also worked in research in public health that has been published. While in college I used to work as a dental assistant for an oral surgeon and deal with patients. I also worked as a lab tech.
As for my extracurricular's: I have held many high leadership positions within SGA. Besides that, I got a 30 on the MCAT. I also have 3 great letters of recs. One from a professor of mine who used to be a surgeon but now teaches after having his neck fused, another from a long term former client (he's an internist) and the other from my employer, the oral surgeon.

Does all my extracurriculars, research, work experience, MCAT scores and upward trend give me a chance?
My passion is medicine. Is there anything I can do to help reach my dreams?

Some volunteer work? Yeah that's definitely something I can do thanks.