Low cGPA - High sGPA | Should I apply or do SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontradpremed0171

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I hope I can get some advice and perspective, I'll make it short:

Not an Ivy undergrad. I’m a non-trad with a BS in Business with 3.0 cGPA. Originally started as Bio major with a sGPA 3.70 cGPA 3.65 and ended up switching majors because at the time I was working full-time and kept moving up the corporate positions, and making an income thinking I had made it. Few years later, I regretted and was stuck with my major. I didn't really care for business courses and was just taking them to finish my degree, hence the low cGPA.
8 years later, I’m now doing a post-bacc at WashU and even with 40+ units of post bacc my cGPA will only rise to 3.25-3.3 with projected sGPA 3.70-3.80.
Looking at MSAR median data and not a single school has cGPA range of starting that low. The lowest was 3.47.
I’m afraid I won’t even make the cut for primary and won't even receive a "holistic" review. My expected app cycle will be May 2022.
By then, should I not waste time and money on app and do a SMP right after post bacc? Or should I still apply since I’d have a high sGPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Much depends on your MCAT score. The GPA-MCAT grid shows that you would have a 50% chance for a MD admission with a 513+ MCAT. For DO schools 500 would be fine for some schools.

Much depends on your MCAT score. The GPA-MCAT grid shows that you would have a 50% chance for a MD admission with a 513+ MCAT. For DO schools 500 would be fine for some schools.
Thanks - where did you get the GPA-MCAT grid? AAMC 2019 Facts?

Members don't see this ad :)

This. It's easier to explain away an okay cGPA and strong sGPA than the other way around. Have your story ready and it shouldn't be a problem as long as your MCAT Score is solid, the rest of your resume is good, and you craft an application that places you in school applications where you have a punchers chance.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

This. It's easier to explain away an okay cGPA and strong sGPA than the other way around. Have your story ready and it shouldn't be a problem as long as your MCAT Score is solid, the rest of your resume is good, and you craft an application that places you in school applications where you have a punchers chance.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
So does a 3.3 cGPA still has a chance at making the cut for primary to even be considered for that "holistic" review? My concern is that my story won't even get a chance to be read, because I probably won't even make the primary cut-off.