Low COMLEX Level 1 score, how ****ed am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swiftjab

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just got my comlex score back today and I got a 415! I wasn't hoping for a high score but I've been averaging the high 400s on the comsaes... At this point I just want to match something somewhere. I don't care if it's FM or any other "undesirable" specialties in "undesirable" locations. There's no time to study for and take Step 1 as all my rotations have been 8-5 and super draining. I know SDN is not a good place to find solace but what should I do? Really lost here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, just got my comlex score back today and I got a 415! I wasn't hoping for a high score but I've been averaging the high 400s on the comsaes... At this point I just want to match something somewhere. I don't care if it's FM or any other "undesirable" specialties in "undesirable" locations. There's no time to study for and take Step 1 as all my rotations have been 8-5 and super draining. I know SDN is not a good place to find solace but what should I do? Really lost here.
You can get FM with that. If thats your only goal your good.

Do better on level 2 and apply FM.
I think you'll hear from those who say "study for step 1 and blow it out of the park"
and those who say "don't bother with step 1. You barely passed level 1 so what makes you think you can do so well on step 1."

Members don't see this ad :)
Do better on level 2 and apply FM.
I think you'll hear from those who say "study for step 1 and blow it out of the park"
and those who say "don't bother with step 1. You barely passed level 1 so what makes you think you can do so well on step 1."
If he is okay with FM, then I don't see why he should put in the extra work. That sounds bad, but I think its perfectly reasonable. Step requires lots of minutia that have minimal impact on the kind of physician you will become. Just focus on learning how to be a good physician during rotations and pass.

If he is okay with FM, then I don't see why he should put in the extra work. That sounds bad, but I think its perfectly reasonable. Step requires lots of minutia that have minimal impact on the kind of physician you will become. Just focus on learning how to be a good physician during rotations and pass.

I'm sure he can get into a FM position with his score but I'm sure scoring well on Step 1 can open up more door to better programs/locations. Don't you agree?
And I am not saying he should study and put extra work for Step 1. I'm saying the opposite actually (focus on Level 2).
I was just saying there will be people who will be that the quotes above.

I'm sure he can get into a FM position with his score but I'm sure scoring well on Step 1 can open up more door to better programs/locations. Don't you agree?
And I am not saying he should study and put extra work for Step 1. I'm saying the opposite actually (focus on Level 2).
I was just saying there will be people who will be that the quotes above.
Yes it does, but for FM I just don't think its worth it. He can get into decent low-mid tier university programs just by passing everything the first time.

It would take a lot of effort to go from a low comlex to even a 220. I agree that the OP is better served by moving on to level II than to keep going down that path.

Your step 1 boat has sailed. Do the best you can with your score. Do auditions at places you want. It will help immensely

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Welcome to primary care amigo!!!

All abooaarddd... CHOO-CHOO!

Reactions: 14 users
Welcome to primary care amigo!!!

All abooaarddd... CHOO-CHOO!
tenor.gif

Reactions: 5 users
do well on your auditions and that will help tremendously. apply broadly and good things will happen. dont beat yourself up if you go into FM you can do a lot in FM and tailor a practice to whatever you want IP/OP/procedures/etc

I have a friend who scored around the same as you and has over 10 FM residencies, she did not take step. Very doable for FM