Low course loads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannagotoFlorida!!

Reaction score
At my college, 12 hours is considered a full course load. I have a couple semesters where the course load is 11 hours and 12 hours
I did really well in my courses with almost all A’s in my science classes with strong upward trends, but idk how my low course loads will affect me.
That being said, the semester I came back from medically withdrawing, I took a 16h course load with 5/6 courses being science courses.
This current semester I am taking 15
On the semesters where my course load was low, I was doing A LOT of my EC’s and such.
How will this affect me?

Members don't see this ad.

Could raise an eyebrow. You're hurting yourself by not having a more intensive load, like 15 hrs+

Of all my semesters, 2 are 11 hours and 1 is 12 hours. Its true, I wish I had taken more hours for those times, but unfortunately at the time I thought i shouldn't spread myself too thin. That being said I do have 3 semesters where its 15h or more where I have 4.0's, so is it possible for me to make the argument that I can still handle a heavy course load?

For the lower semesters, I wanted to devote more time to my art therapy program so i took a class or 2 less in my courses. I wanted to be able to explain this to adcoms that im really passionate about my art program and valued it highly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of all my semesters, 2 are 11 hours and 1 is 12 hours. Its true, I wish I had taken more hours for those times, but unfortunately at the time I thought i shouldn't spread myself too thin. That being said I do have 3 semesters where its 15h or more where I have 4.0's, so is it possible for me to make the argument that I can still handle a heavy course load?

For the lower semesters, I wanted to devote more time to my art therapy program so i took a class or 2 less in my courses. I wanted to be able to explain this to adcoms that im really passionate about my art program and valued it highly.
You're fine, then

Reactions: 1 user
Just have an answer why. And you have one. It's more of a yellow flag than a red flag, so I would be surprised if anybody pushed it past your answer. And as you note, you have the creds elsewhere. Just don't look confused if you get asked, you'll be golden.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Just have an answer why. And you have one. It's more of a yellow flag than a red flag, so I would be surprised if anybody pushed it past your answer. And as you note, you have the creds elsewhere. Just don't look confused if you get asked, you'll be golden.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Gotcha, thank you!

And this is how you’d defend it if asked in an interview

If you're a senior, check to see if they let you go under 12 but be a full time student. I did it

I had 9 hours the semester that started a week after my son was born. If they ask me why I only took 9 credits I’ll just tell them I was changing diapers and breastfeeding/pumping around the clock while maintaining my Summa gpa on virtually no sleep

Just be prepared to thoroughly explain why you took a lighter load, and emphasize the aspects of your application that were strengthened during that time.

Reactions: 1 users