Low DAT, high GPA . . .where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basiatkom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I'm applying to dental schools June 1st and I was wondering if you have any suggestions as to where I should apply. My DAT scores are low but my GPA is pretty high:
DAT
PAT 19
QR 16
RC 22
Bio 18
Gen Chem 18
Org Chem 16
TS 17
AA 18

My Science GPA is 3.68 and my Overall GPA is 3.82. I've graduated with Bachelor in Biology with 170 credit hours. I've done my own lab research and wrote my Honors Thesis on it. I have about 150 hours of shadowing a dentist (general practice and children's hospital) as well as about 70 hours of community service.
Any thoughts? Which schools should I apply to? Which schools take high GPA and low DAT students?
*Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi!
I'm applying to dental schools June 1st and I was wondering if you have any suggestions as to where I should apply. My DAT scores are low but my GPA is pretty high:
DAT
PAT 19
QR 16
RC 22
Bio 18
Gen Chem 18
Org Chem 16
TS 17
AA 18

My Science GPA is 3.68 and my Overall GPA is 3.82. I've graduated with Bachelor in Biology with 170 credit hours. I've done my own lab research and wrote my Honors Thesis on it. I have about 150 hours of shadowing a dentist (general practice and children's hospital) as well as about 70 hours of community service.
Any thoughts? Which schools should I apply to? Which schools take high GPA and low DAT students?
*Thanks for your help!

before you apply, you should RETAKE the DAT( unless thats already what you were planning to do) unless you live in a state that accepted like 40% of its applicants. What state do you live in?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would def try and retake it. I as well have a high gpa and similar scores. unfortunately I didn't get any acceptances soo I am retaking the DAT and reapplying.

Even If I decide to take it, I want to apply early. This would mean that I would apply with the scores that I already have and eventually send the new ones later. I don't want to waste money on schools that only take applicants with high DAT. . .

Definitely retake. Those DAT scores just won't cut it. You MAY have a chance at getting in, but why spend all that money applying and risk it? Just submit your application early, then email schools telling them that you plan on retaking the DAT this summer. Then study like crazy and kill it the second time.

With a great GPA like that, wouldn't you rather have your choice of schools to pick from instead of stressing out about getting in at all?

Got it! But then the question becomes which schools should I apply to? I know I shouldn't say this but what if I won't do better on the DAT and my applications are already in? Which schools I might still have a chance with even in a case when I don't do better on my DAT?

Got it! But then the question becomes which schools should I apply to? I know I shouldn't say this but what if I won't do better on the DAT and my applications are already in? Which schools I might still have a chance with even in a case when I don't do better on my DAT?

we just all think you should retake. you wont do worse, no offense, but you prob have a pretty good prob of doing better in most of the sections you have except maybe RC and PAT(only competitive score). how did you study for the DAT? how long?

I took Kaplan but it did not help much. Mainly because in the classroom the teacher skimmed through every topic . . . They don't allow enough class time to learn enough to do well . . .but it is only my opinion.
I think I was too focused on PAT and Bio and I did not pay enough attention to match. . . And I started studying for org chem a way too late!
Like I said: i understand I have to retake. But I know I need to apply early or this year is lost. . . . Before I can retake it will be a couple of months. . .So the question stands: where to apply?????

If I were you, i would be looking into private and out of state friendly schools. Here would be my list:

USN (new Utah school, I think they are changing their name to Roseman or something)
MWU Illinois
MWU AZ
NYU
BU
Case
Tufts
Western
Nova
USC
Creighton

Again....if you bring up those DAT scores the game changes for you....you might even have a chance at some ivy league schools depending on your ecs and the rest of your app. I would go ahead and apply to at least a couple dream schools, because if you rock the DAT the second time you will be extremely competitive and will regret not putting them on your list.

Oh, and definitely buy the ADEA guide to dental schools. Reading that thing is what helped me determine what schools to apply to. It has all the info and stats you need from the previous cycle.

And as for the DAT, go to the DAT forum on here and start reading. There is so much great advice on what materials to buy and how to study. The Kaplan class is worthless imo. Most people agree that you don't get what you pay for.

If I were you, i would be looking into private and out of state friendly schools. Here would be my list:

USN (new Utah school, I think they are changing their name to Roseman or something)
MWU Illinois
MWU AZ
NYU
BU
Case
Tufts
Western
Nova
USC
Creighton

Again....if you bring up those DAT scores the game changes for you....you might even have a chance at some ivy league schools depending on your ecs and the rest of your app. I would go ahead and apply to at least a couple dream schools, because if you rock the DAT the second time you will be extremely competitive and will regret not putting them on your list.

Oh, and definitely buy the ADEA guide to dental schools. Reading that thing is what helped me determine what schools to apply to. It has all the info and stats you need from the previous cycle.

+1. This is great advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much! Wish me luck with both: The applications and the DAT! :)

Sounds like you're looking for every excuse NOT to retake... but if you do end up retaking (which I think you should) get rid of all that Kaplan stuff and get some better study materials.

Go through DAT Destroyer and a month before your test, take a DAT Achiever tests every week. Both will kick your butt, but your scores will be better off because of it.

Hi!
DAT
PAT 19
QR 16
RC 22
Bio 18
Gen Chem 18
Org Chem 16
TS 17
AA 18

My Science GPA is 3.68 and my Overall GPA is 3.82.

Hey, I am an Illinois Resident. I got interviews at UIC, SIU, and Midwestern among other places. I have a ton of pre-dental friends, and know a good deal about some of the in-state admissions. Btw, I am going to Southern next year. Your academics are impressive and you do have some good extras. But you scored under a 17 in two sections and a 17 in TS. I know Midwestern has a minimum DAT score requirement and it might be 17 per section. So Midwestern is already cut out. You may want to check it out. You are taking a big chance with those scores. Pull up your TS to at least 18 and AA to at least 19 with no less than 17 in each category. You can apply to schools this cycle if you want and you may be accepted somewhere. But you are taking a chance with the score. Retake it for sure.

Sounds like you're looking for every excuse NOT to retake... but if you do end up retaking (which I think you should) get rid of all that Kaplan stuff and get some better study materials.

Go through DAT Destroyer and a month before your test, take a DAT Achiever tests every week. Both will kick your butt, but your scores will be better off because of it.

Of course I don't want to retake it! Who ever wants to retake it? But the problem is not that I don't want to retake it but that I CANNOT retake it for another 10 weeks! If I wait with my applications until I can retake it, the chances are I won't get in because I'll apply too late. . .

Last edited:
You definitely won't be as competitive with an 18, but you still have a shot. It sounds like you have good extra curricular activities to help you out. I applied last year with a 19 and a 3.88 GPA and I got six interviews and was accepted into four schools including UOP, Creighton, Case, and Minnesota. I would apply to the private schools, but it's hard to tell what each school is actually looking for. I thought UOP was a long shot with a 19 DAT, but I got in. My interviews and acceptances didn't come until later, but they did come. If you can, you should take the DAT again. Even one point more goes a long ways.

I'm kinda in the same boat, should I re-apply in june with these scores? if yes, which schools should i apply to? Thank you guys for all the support.
19AA 21TS 16PAT 16RC 19QR 3.84GPA 3.67sGPA

I'm kinda in the same boat, should I re-apply in june with these scores? if yes, which schools should i apply to? Thank you guys for all the support.
19AA 21TS 16PAT 16RC 19QR 3.84GPA 3.67sGPA

I understand your concern gmen, but why not focus your question on one thread instead of asking in multiple threads?

I think you should retake the DAT. It will be hard to get in with your low scores. Good luck!!

I know Midwestern has a minimum DAT score requirement and it might be 17 per section. So Midwestern is already cut out. You may want to check it out. You are taking a big chance with those scores. Pull up your TS to at least 18 and AA to at least 19 with no less than 17 in each category. You can apply to schools this cycle if you want and you may be accepted somewhere. But you are taking a chance with the score. Retake it for sure.

I was accepted at Midwestern IL with a QR of 15 and GC 15. My PA was 21 and RC was 22 though. AA 18, TS 17. But I would say that if you have the time to retake the DAT then do it!

Hi!
DAT
PAT 19
QR 16
RC 22
Bio 18
Gen Chem 18
Org Chem 16
TS 17
AA 18

*Thanks for your help!

I don't know what schools you should apply to, but I know that there is hope for you! I know people with similar stats that have gotten into dental schools. If you don't want to re-take your DAT, the best advice I could give you is to apply early and apply to more schools! Don't limit yourself to your state schools. You may have a better chance being an OOS student at some places. Hope this helps somewhat.

Hi!
Thanks everyone for your responses! Just wanted to give you an update: I interviewed with three schools ( one interview in September and two in October) and I got in on December 1st! Thanks once again!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello basiatkom, I'm in the same boat as you regarding low DAT scores and high GPA. I wanted to ask what school did you end up getting interviews and acceptances in? I honestly do not have much time time and money to retake the DAT.

DAT Scores: TS: 17, AA: 18, PAT: 16, RC: 19, OC: 18, GC: 18, Bio: 17, QC: 18

FeralisExtremum,

Please don't make such bogus and harsh comments. I may not have done well on the DAT, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid. I know Columbia has a high average acceptance DAT score. Please learn to be nice! People go through alot of things/stress, and it does not help to rub salt on the wound.