Low DAT, should I retake or apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chayypii

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here and hoping to get some advises from you guys.

SO I took my DAT on July 8 2022 and got these
18AA
20 BIO
19 Gen Chem
20 Organic Chen
17 RC
17 QR
25 PAT

Here is little bit about me: I am a Texas residency and first time if applying this cycle
I have my BS degree with a 3.6 GPA and around the same or higher Total science GPA
I have been a tutor and some activities at school but its not much
2 semester on deans list of honor.
I'm hoping to taking some more classes that are recommended by some school to get my GPA up or at least make it look like Im trying
I have an RDA license and a 5 years experience in the field
I have 500+ shadowing and volunteer hours at one of the location they offered at my job
LOR from 2 dentist I'm working with and 2 from my science professors

Knowing that my DAT is pretty LOW and wanting to retake but waiting period is 3 months
So my plan is to just apply and see if I get any interviews and if Im lucky enough to get accepted into any school, and if not Im retaking it on October cause everything is still fresh in mind.
Let me know what do you guys think, and here is the list of school Im applying to, feel free to add or if you think I should remove some schools...

Study tips: one more thing is how can I improve my RC, the computer lagging was no joke, and of course I freaked out and sort of gave up because I didn't have enough time to finish up my last passage. Also about QR, I always been good with math and getting an okay score during my DATBootCamp practice exam but for some reason I got a 17 on the real one, any tips?

IOWA
Roseman
OSU
UMKC
UCSF
NSU
WESTU
A.T. Still University
WESTU
UDM
UCLA
USC
NYU

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I'm new here and hoping to get some advises from you guys.

SO I took my DAT on July 8 2022 and got these
18AA
20 BIO
19 Gen Chem
20 Organic Chen
17 RC
17 QR
25 PAT

Here is little bit about me: I am a Texas residency and first time if applying this cycle
I have my BS degree with a 3.6 GPA and around the same or higher Total science GPA
I have been a tutor and some activities at school but its not much
2 semester on deans list of honor.
I'm hoping to taking some more classes that are recommended by some school to get my GPA up or at least make it look like Im trying
I have an RDA license and a 5 years experience in the field
I have 500+ shadowing and volunteer hours at one of the location they offered at my job
LOR from 2 dentist I'm working with and 2 from my science professors

Knowing that my DAT is pretty LOW and wanting to retake but waiting period is 3 months
So my plan is to just apply and see if I get any interviews and if Im lucky enough to get accepted into any school, and if not Im retaking it on October cause everything is still fresh in mind.
Let me know what do you guys think, and here is the list of school Im applying to, feel free to add or if you think I should remove some schools...

Study tips: one more thing is how can I improve my RC, the computer lagging was no joke, and of course I freaked out and sort of gave up because I didn't have enough time to finish up my last passage. Also about QR, I always been good with math and getting an okay score during my DATBootCamp practice exam but for some reason I got a 17 on the real one, any tips?

IOWA
Roseman
OSU
UMKC
UCSF
NSU
WESTU
A.T. Still University
WESTU
UDM
UCLA
USC
NYU
You have some schools on there that will cost you $650,000 or more. I would really think twice about that...

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
You have some schools on there that will cost you $650,000 or more. I would really think twice about that...

Big Hoss
To be honest, I wouldn’t mind because I haven’t had any loans from my undergrad. I just need to get in somewhere at least. Then if I get multiple accepted then I will think about the cost later. Thanks for the advice though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just need to get in somewhere at least. Then if I get multiple accepted then I will think about the cost later.
And so USC and NYU will continue to burden students with $750,000+ in student loans...

At that debt level, you’ll have to earn $65,000/year just to cover the interest on your loans. We’re not even talking about paying down the principal. How much do you expect to earn as a dentist?

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
And so USC and NYU will continue to burden students with $750,000+ in student loans...

At that debt level, you’ll have to earn $65,000/year just to cover the interest on your loans. We’re not even talking about paying down the principal. How much do you expect to earn as a dentist?

Big Hoss
Honestly that’s a good point. Dentist around me would make no less than 15K a month and they nearly graduated. And lots of them do complain about how hard it is to pay off their debt, but the majority of them are okay with the 500K+ debt because most of us cant get far enough to go the cheaper school. People like me with a low grade are taking risk to an expensive school for a reason. I have dentist who encouraged me to just be grateful with any school, because alot of them could pay off their debts within 5 years, or maybe they’re saying that to just encourage meee. But anywayy I want more opinions😭😭just throw anything you have in minds about my situation.

Someone would definitely have to verify this but I have heard that re-applicants could have a slight advantage in admissions process if everything else is equal. So if you don't mind the application fee, I would just apply and worst case scenario you don't get in and apply again next cycle (hopefully with a DAT retake and better score).

Someone would definitely have to verify this but I have heard that re-applicants could have a slight advantage in admissions process if everything else is equal. So if you don't mind the application fee, I would just apply and worst case scenario you don't get in and apply again next cycle (hopefully with a DAT retake and better score).
I'm not sure what it means if "everything else is equal." It completely depends on the holistic fit of the applicant with the program. Re-applicants don't really have an advantage unless they show significant improvement to be desirable. We have blinded committee members on reapplicant status to avoid any improper bias.

I have heard that re-applicants could have a slight advantage in admissions process if everything else is equal.
I beg to differ, because they have to deal with the burden of showing significant improvement in their application. Why do you think they would have an advantage over someone who did everything right the first time?

Big Hoss

I beg to differ, because they have to deal with the burden of showing significant improvement in their application. Why do you think they would have an advantage over someone who did everything right the first time?

Big Hoss
I'm not sure what it means if "everything else is equal." It completely depends on the holistic fit of the applicant with the program. Re-applicants don't really have an advantage unless they show significant improvement to be desirable. We have blinded committee members on reapplicant status to avoid any improper bias.
My thought process was if in that year you continued to shadow, gain experience, and volunteer your application would obviously grow as well. I would also imagine that on top of that, re-applying would further demonstrate your commitment to dentistry. So I guess that is dependent on you continuing to Grow the other aspects of your application as opposed to doing nothing and waiting/expecting to get in, which I imagine most applicants would do. Fair enough though that “if everything else was equal” was not the best way to say it.

My thought process was if in that year you continued to shadow, gain experience, and volunteer your application would obviously grow as well. I would also imagine that on top of that, re-applying would further demonstrate your commitment to dentistry. So I guess that is dependent on you continuing to Grow the other aspects of your application as opposed to doing nothing and waiting/expecting to get in, which I imagine most applicants would do. Fair enough though that “if everything else was equal” was not the best way to say it.
Or you could show your commitment to dentistry by doing everything right the first time. If I were an adcom, I’d scrutinize reapplicants pretty heavily. No major changes and your application would go straight to the trash.

Big Hoss

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user