Low first year gpa advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blair234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finished my first year with a 3.65 gpa which isn't awful but also isn't good. I go to a top liberal arts school where the grades are quite deflated and the grades in intro classes are very low. But did I completely ruin my chances of getting into any decent (top 20) medical school? If I manage to get it up to a 3.85ish by the time I apply will that still be competitive?

I'm just freaking out and have been unable to sleep since the grades came out honestly I feel like I ruined by entire future. Any advice/comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea to be honest you screwed yourself pretty bad. Some people could come back form such a major screw up, but if I were you I'd start looking into backup careers.

Seriously, calm down. People with lower first-year GPAs have made it to med school. Dropping the "I'm a failure" mentality will help you excel in upcoming years. You're in a place where improvement is more than possible.

Assess your study habits. Do you need tutoring? Do you learn better with a group? Do you work more effectively in the morning or at night? It's also a good idea to review the syllabus for a class before the first day. Find out what the professor expects from his or her students, go to office hours, keep on top of assignments, etc. Different subjects sometimes require different study tactics.

A 3.8+ GPA is excellent, but you'll need more than competitive grades to get into med school. Put in the work, and you'll be more than okay. Best of luck.

So I finished my first year with a 3.65 gpa

If I manage to get it up to a 3.85ish by the time I apply will that still be competitive?

I'm just freaking out and have been unable to sleep since the grades came out honestly I feel like I ruined by entire future

You would still be competitive even with a 3.65.

Yes.

Relax. Chill. Enjoy the summer.