Low freshman gpa..do i have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dat1guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,

just wondered to know guys what my chances were, appreciate the help

freshman gpa was a 3.0 with an B and C in chem I & II and rest ge's

this year taking orgo and gen bio?...u guys think I can pull it up to an worthy gpa by end of this year?

btw: microbiology gpa going to state schoool

Members don't see this ad.

hello all,

this year taking orgo and gen bio?...u guys think I can pull it up to an worthy gpa by end of this year?

I had a < 2.5 Freshman year GPA and now that I applied to medical schools after graduating received 4 interviews (all MD). So, using just a freshman GPA or to be paranoid about it and then asking about your chances is a total waste of time.

A better question is whether YOU think you can bring up your grades and eventually become competitive for med schools. If you don't start earning As, you will not become competitive.

If you had a 3.0 after freshman year, then by the end of sophomore year, with straight As, you'd be at ~3.5. If your junior year is straight As also, you'd get to ~3.66 by the end of junior year. Average acceptee to MD schools is 3.67 cGPA.

DO schools are more lenient. They replace a poor grade with the retaken grade instead of averaging them all in, the way the MD schools do. Average entering DO students had a 3.47 cGPA.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right.
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.

-Henry Ford

Way too early in the game to even think about it. Just do better next year.

hello all,