Low freshman year gpa, retake classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akakelsy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the year comes to a close I will be getting around the same grades I did as last semester, with a C's in both gen chem II /Iand gen bioII/I. My gpa is about a 3.0, and I'm thinking of retaking gen chem 1. Should I retake this class or move on? I'm also having doubts about next semester with taking organic chem as my poor grades/study habits may following me into organic chem and cell physio...I want to be able to go to med school sometime in the future and I don't want one bad year hindering my ability to apply

Members don't see this ad.

As the year comes to a close I will be getting around the same grades I did as last semester, with a C's in both gen chem II /Iand gen bioII/I. My gpa is about a 3.0, and I'm thinking of retaking gen chem 1. Should I retake this class or move on? I'm also having doubts about next semester with taking organic chem as my poor grades/study habits may following me into organic chem and cell physio...I want to be able to go to med school sometime in the future and I don't want one bad year hindering my ability to apply

ehh if you feel like you didn't learn the material retake it.

I would retake. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't think of it as "one bad year" since it's your first and only college year on record. Sit down for a second and think about how you can improve your study habits first to ensure that these first two semesters were just an aberration and not the norm.

Any thoughts of a retake have to take into consideration piling that on to presumably tougher course loads.

I think improving your study habits would be the most most important thing. I slacked off in my first stint at undergrad and finished with a 3.0 and have had to work my ass off to repair it the last couple years, with hopes of being accepted this year. Get it figured out now so you don't waste time later retaking classes and repairing your poor performance.

I echo Jhawks sentiment. Retake those courses now not later. That is a great way to build confidence (youll do well having taken the course before) and improve your study habits!

If you dont reatake now, later you could have a lot more GPA points and maybe more classes you want to retake. This study habit problem could make applying more difficult if you dont address it immedetaely.