Tkoe

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
So my stats are above. What I was wondering was.... should I focus on raising the gpa? get a job? retake the mcat? Id like a little feedback from people already through the process. thanks

vha7777

10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
NC
Status
Dental Student
Is the 2.4 your sicence GPA? overall GPA? I'm not even sure if you will be allowed to apply to some schools with that GPA because some do have cut offs. Perhaps you should think think about taking some more classes, remember that if you retake a class they will replace your grade with the most recent one ie - u can totally change your GPA and quickly. At least get it close to a 3.00, with that MCAT score you should be okay after you raise your GPA to something in that range. Good luck

CatsandCradles

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2005
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Tkoe said:
So my stats are above. What I was wondering was.... should I focus on raising the gpa? get a job? retake the mcat? Id like a little feedback from people already through the process. thanks
AACOMAS is different from AMCAS since if you retake a class, the new grade replaces the old grade. So anotherwords, if you get a C in organic chemistry, you can retake that class during your senior year and replace that C with the new grade. Whereas in AMCAS I beleive, the two grades get averaged.

And AACOMAS is BCP not BCPM ~ however some O schools will require calc.

So try hard to get that 2.4 GPA up to 3.0. Retake those classes and do well in them. Show the adcoms that you can do well in those classes.

And apply broadly and to many of the schools. I know someone who was in a similar situation where she had a 2.7 BCP. She brought that GPA up to 3.1 and scored 32 on the MCAT. She was accepted into one school.

So retake the classes.

Best of wishes and Godspeed you :luck:

C&C

About the Ads
OP
T

Tkoe

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
vha7777 said:
Is the 2.4 your sicence GPA? overall GPA? I'm not even sure if you will be allowed to apply to some schools with that GPA because some do have cut offs. Perhaps you should think think about taking some more classes, remember that if you retake a class they will replace your grade with the most recent one ie - u can totally change your GPA and quickly. At least get it close to a 3.00, with that MCAT score you should be okay after you raise your GPA to something in that range. Good luck
so your saying that instead of taking more advanced sciences I should retake the old ones. They will really replace?!? oh yeah, my science is similar, i was a shamefull student in my former life
thanks for the info

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
Yup..retake old ones...maybe throw a few upper levels if you can turn it up a notch....You have a great MCAT so just salvage that gpa and maybe do a solid ec that you like and applies to medicine. I like the osteopathic philosphy with courses much better.lol

DODO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
California
Status
yeah for sure retake your D's and C's (obviously your D's first) and then you should be in good shape. I retook about 4 classes and it drastically increased my gpa. just make sure to get those A's on your retakes. good luck.

the alchemist

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2005
Health Care City
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Tkoe said:
i agree w/ the others. work on raising that gpa by maybe retaking some of those required sciences courses where u received bad grades and replacing them with A's. but it is possible so don't give up - i had 2 DO (only applied to 3 and the reason i didn't get a 3rd interview might not have been due to my numbers, but its complicated) and 1 MD interviews and got into a DO school with 33 MCAT and 2.55 sci aacomas gpa (2.38 amcas) and 2.78 overall (2.5 amcas) - although my post-bacc is 4.0 sci (3.91 overall). ur mcat score is fine so i'd concentrate on the classes rather than studying 2 retake the mcat.

Dotsero

10+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2005
Status
Tkoe said:
The 33 MCAT is fantastic, be proud of that. But the GPA is well below average. You need to boost it and the best way is to take advanced scdience courses to show the adcoms you can cut it. I know of people with stellar MCATS and medicocre GPAs that have had a really hard time getting through MS 1. Show them you can do it! Bring up that GPA!

Corrupt200

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Miami, Fl
Status
Pre-Medical, Podiatrist
Dotsero said:
The 33 MCAT is fantastic, be proud of that. But the GPA is well below average. You need to boost it and the best way is to take advanced scdience courses to show the adcoms you can cut it. I know of people with stellar MCATS and medicocre GPAs that have had a really hard time getting through MS 1. Show them you can do it! Bring up that GPA!
Raise that GPA, even DO schools may not consider you. DO's usu require a 2.7 or 2.8 min to be even considered. MD cutoffs are very high.

LINYKid

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
dr.z said:
Raise GPA by retaking some courses. You don't need to worry about the MCAT.
great mcat score. have any advice for future mcat test takers?
good luck

About the Ads