Low GPA (<3.0) applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farmer83

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone with a low GPA having any luck out there? :) I need some reassurance as I'm still getting through more supplementals. Even though I've read some similar stories, I think I would like to hear more of people with low GPA's getting acceptances. :D

My stats are a 2.8 GPA, 85 PCAT, BS Biology, participated in an honor society and pre-pharmacy club while I was at school and other extra-curriculars, and currently volunteer at a pharmacy. I'm applying to 12 schools, and I'm really crossing my fingers these next few months. I explained myself throughly on my personal statement why my GPA's low, but I can only hope that the adcom's will understand.

Can anyone reassure me that I at least have some kind of chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone with a low GPA having any luck out there? :) I need some reassurance as I'm still getting through more supplementals. Even though I've read some similar stories, I think I would like to hear more of people with low GPA's getting acceptances. :D

My stats are a 2.8 GPA, 85 PCAT, BS Biology, participated in an honor society and pre-pharmacy club while I was at school and other extra-curriculars, and currently volunteer at a pharmacy. I'm applying to 12 schools, and I'm really crossing my fingers these next few months. I explained myself throughly on my personal statement why my GPA's low, but I can only hope that the adcom's will understand.

Can anyone reassure me that I at least have some kind of chance?
I applied to 4 schools and got interviews invites to them all. I have 2 acceptances, but neither to my first choice. Still waiting on it. Go figure. I applied really early though. Our stats are pretty similar, but my GPA is a little lower and my PCAT is a little higher. You might have waited a bit too long for this year, but who knows. If you don't get in, apply early next year and you should be better off.

I only applied to one school and I was accepted. My overall GPA is 2.99, 75 PCAT, BS in Nutrition, 8 years inpatient pharmacy experience, volunteer exp, and really strong LORS. I have applied to this school before and did not get in. I just kept trying. I applied early this year so I was at the second interview day, which probably helped. It all depends what the statistics are for the schools you are applying at. It is possible for people to get in with your stats, especially if you apply early.

Members don't see this ad :)
did you retake classes that you got a bad grade in?

By the way, I am wondering how pharmacy schools calculate our GPA, does it include classes that are not pre pharmacy prerequisite ? Anyone know?:)

from what i understand pharmcas calculates EVERY grade that you have in college coursework

i think pharmcas seperates the gpa to a non science and a science gpa..
from what i read anyways..

Apply earlier if you get nothing this year.

Refer to my sig for a thread that may help you.

Yeah I retook those classes I didn't do well in. Raising my GPA is the problem...it can only go so far per semester after I've taken 200+ sem. hrs of classes. At least my post-bac GPA is a 4.0. But yeah, the only reason I didn't apply earlier was cuz I didn't have anyone to ask for LoR's. But yeah, if I don't get in this year, I'm definitely applying much earlier next year.

I only applied to one school and I was accepted. My overall GPA is 2.99, 75 PCAT, BS in Nutrition, 8 years inpatient pharmacy experience, volunteer exp, and really strong LORS. I have applied to this school before and did not get in. I just kept trying. I applied early this year so I was at the second interview day, which probably helped. It all depends what the statistics are for the schools you are applying at. It is possible for people to get in with your stats, especially if you apply early.

which school were you accepted to?? thanks!

for real. what school is that? you guys give me hope. lol. my gpa is ruined after taking stupid physics.

I retook a few classes. If you mean F's. I didn't have but one in prepharm. Best thing to do is move on after retaking prepharm classes. I got another degree in the medical field that was very difficult and had a 3.6 with it. That and a good PCAT score. Anything is possible if you are willing to do what it takes to get there. That's the trick though. Are you willing?

Auburn University: Interviewed and waiting (first choice)
Howard University: Interviewed and accepted
MWU: Interviewed and waiting
University of Appalachia: Interviewed and accepted

hey falokis when did you interview to Howard and when did you find out you got in?

Yeah I retook those classes I didn't do well in. Raising my GPA is the problem...it can only go so far per semester after I've taken 200+ sem. hrs of classes. At least my post-bac GPA is a 4.0. But yeah, the only reason I didn't apply earlier was cuz I didn't have anyone to ask for LoR's. But yeah, if I don't get in this year, I'm definitely applying much earlier next year.

if you dont get accepted what do you plan on doing academicaly that year you wait if you already have retaken classes.
im in a similar situation as you. i have about 165 sem hrs and 2 or even 3 semesters isnt going to have a big impact on gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 2.98 GPA but pre-pharm is much higher. i will have a bio degree in a few months. My pcat score was 70 and i got 2 interviews but i got a 95 in oct pcat and more interviews have come in. i have alot of experience in the pharmacy so maybe thats why i got an interview with a 70 pcat. i think gpa's can be misleading bc some ppl take easy classes and bump theirs up. anyways gluck

If your post-bac is 4.0, then you definitely have a good chance.

My science GPA in college was 2.65, but my post-bac GPA was 3.7 and I got a 99 composite on my PCAT and I got an interview from UCSF.

Make sure to read about the schools and if they offer a form of rolling admissions, or tiers. UCSF doesn't have tiers, so they look at all those apps at the same time, so it doesn't matter when you turn it in.

if you dont get accepted what do you plan on doing academicaly that year you wait if you already have retaken classes.
im in a similar situation as you. i have about 165 sem hrs and 2 or even 3 semesters isnt going to have a big impact on gpa.

Well, I thought about taking more classes and even though it'll be painful taking at least 12 hrs each semester and aiming for all A's, i'll have a chance to bring it up a few more hundredths of a point. That's the dilemma, if I do continue to take classes full-time thru the summer thru spring of 2009, and get A's I'll be at a 3.0. But I don't think it's a realistic goal.

I retook two classes that I got an F and a D in. My GPA over the last 60 credits was 3.27, which was high enough to apply to the University of MN. Those two bad grades really lowered my GPA. I have 212 credits so it was hard to raise my overall GPA.

I'm kind of confused about the pharmacas, if your overall GPA went to a 3.3, how does the pharmacas calculate it to be 2.9, I don't get it...doesn't the 3.3 include ALL of your classes? (I new on the board)

from what i understand PharmCAS counts every grade, even if you retook the class. (If you got a D, and then an A, pharmcas counts both grades)

...titled "Thank you Sdn!"

Shows my stats = low overall GPA.

my prepharm GPA was 2.99, Cum GPA was 3.47, PCAT 92, 2 years experience, lots of clubs, good LOR. I applied to 4 schools and got accepted to just one, and thank god, the one that mattered. i went there for undergrad too, so that surely helped.

I'm kind of confused about the pharmacas, if your overall GPA went to a 3.3, how does the pharmacas calculate it to be 2.9, I don't get it...doesn't the 3.3 include ALL of your classes? (I new on the board)

Same here , I had an overall Gpa or 3.47, but when Pharmcas did the Calc it dropped to a 2.98. However I understand why, they calc all of your grades, even repeats.

Same here , I had an overall Gpa or 3.47, but when Pharmcas did the Calc it dropped to a 2.98. However I understand why, they calc all of your grades, even repeats.

So that implies that it will be better not to repeat a class you have at least a C in (orgo 2). If yr gpa is around 3.0. Just take other higher level scince courses right?.

from what i understand pharmcas calculates EVERY grade that you have in college coursework

i think pharmcas seperates the gpa to a non science and a science gpa..
from what i read anyways..

Do they calculate a cumulative GPA over all coursework? I have a 3.1 from when I got my BS degree. Taking pre-reqs now and wonder how they will be factored in..

Do they calculate a cumulative GPA over all coursework? I have a 3.1 from when I got my BS degree. Taking pre-reqs now and wonder how they will be factored in..

PharmCAS uses all courses to calculate your GPA. They will use your 3.1 and combine it with what you earn in your pre-reqs to calculate your overall GPA.