Low GPA... advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

upupup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 5 months left before the next application cycle for MD programs. I have two options:

1. Take more classes and get my gpa up to 3.45 from 3.4. In this case, I will be taking classes full-time in Spring.
2. Not take any more classes (keep my 3.4 gpa) and study for MCAT to get a high score. (I am thinking that if I put all that time and energy into MCAT - instead of taking additional classes - my MCAT score will increase?)

Which is better? I guess I am wondering if I will get screened by having 3.4 gpa regardless of my MCAT score.
Also, what else can I do for the next 5 months to increase my chances of getting accepted?
Any advice will be appreciated! :) Happy Holidays!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say focus on the mcat. A 3.4 and 3.45 really aren't all that different.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say focus on the mcat. A 3.4 and 3.45 really aren't all that different.

I agree as well.

Your best possible scenario would be to take classes and get a 3.8 or higher AND score very well on the MCAT. A positive trend in grades plus a solid MCAT would ease any worries of reviewers. However, MCAT is definitely the more important of the choices so do well enough on it and you'll be fine.

I agree as well.

Your best possible scenario would be to take classes and get a 3.8 or higher AND score very well on the MCAT. A positive trend in grades plus a solid MCAT would ease any worries of reviewers. However, MCAT is definitely the more important of the choices so do well enough on it and you'll be fine.
I'm not sure you realize how much coursework it takes to overcome a low GPA. If you already have a 3.4 with a full 4yrs of credit, it would take you another 4yrs of full-time coursework at a 4.0 to bring yourself up to a 3.7...a 3.8 without grade replacement is a pipe dream. So yeah, this advice is equivalent to saying "your best option would have been not to mess up in the first place" which is decidedly unhelpful.

I'm not sure you realize how much coursework it takes to overcome a low GPA. If you already have a 3.4 with a full 4yrs of credit, it would take you another 4yrs of full-time coursework at a 4.0 to bring yourself up to a 3.7...a 3.8 without grade replacement is a pipe dream. So yeah, this advice is equivalent to saying "your best option would have been not to mess up in the first place" which is decidedly unhelpful.

I understand grades completely. My advice was to get a 3.8+ for the semester. Thus it would show a positive trend.

I understand grades completely. My advice was to get a 3.8+ for the semester. Thus it would show a positive trend.
Ah, my bad...I thought you were advising them to work their GPA up to a 3.8, since the prior post was focusing on the minimal difference between a 3.4 and a 3.45 overall gpa!

The bigger bang for the buck is the higher MCAT, but it's also a harder feat.

Does not make much of a difference 3.4 to 3.45. They will not screen you out because you have a 3.4, Its best to focus on your MCAT

I was in a worse position. I went from a 3.2 to 3.4 with my last 36 credits all being 3.8. Rocked the MCAT with a 35 though, got a few IIs. I'd recommend looking into DO programs too if you want to maximize chances of acceptance with a 3.4.

I was in a worse position. I went from a 3.2 to 3.4 with my last 36 credits all being 3.8. Rocked the MCAT with a 35 though, got a few IIs. I'd recommend looking into DO programs too if you want to maximize chances of acceptance with a 3.4.
Yeah, that's about where I'm sitting. Just shy of a 3.2 -> just shy of a 3.4 over 2yrs with 4.0's. Not a full courseload, but I'm working 2 jobs and volunteering at the same time, so hopefully that'll be enough. I'll reevaluate once I take the MCAT!

That's awesome. I'm in the exact boat, hoping it works out.

Has anyone here taken the MCAT or know somebody who has and if so what exactly does it include? I have just started the second year of my undergrad and would like to get an early heads up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Has anyone here taken the MCAT or know somebody who has and if so what exactly does it include? I have just started the second year of my undergrad and would like to get an early heads up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
That is completely unrelated to this thread. I'd recommend using the search function, checking out the entire dedicated MCAT subforum, Googling the MCAT, looking on AAMC's official website, or asking your advisor. Or, if you don't want to do any of the legwork, at least post your own thread instead of hijacking.
At any rate, make sure you actually LEARN the materials in your prereq courses; that's a good start and covers most MCAT topics.

I agree with the others that the return on GPA versus potential return on the MCAT is negligible. Assuming you absolutely must/want to apply next cycle, I would rather spend the time reviewing for the MCAT. On the other hand, if you are willing to apply the cycle after next, you could work on the MCAT and take some upper division courses for fun that might be helpful for medical school (genetics, biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, etc.) and that may help raise your GPA.