LOW GPA and ACCEPTED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sherille

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to know how many of you out there got in with low gpa's. if so

1. where did you apply ?

2. where did you get accepted ?

Members don't see this ad.

also, it would help to know which state resident you are! that factors in a LOT. :)

Not sure how much this info would help much, but oh well. I ended up with a 3.28 undergrad GPA, but with an upward trend (til my last quarter here) I also go ta 37 MCAT. (cali resident)

I applied to albout 30 schools, with all of the main top ones, minus Harvard, Yale and a few others. Also applied to mid range such as Ohio State, Tulane, MCW, and also backups like SLU and George washington.

The only school I have been accepted to is USC. I was rejected from a ton of schools that I thaught I would be accepted at.

I really feel that if you have a low GPA and want to go to medical schoo, you have to have a good reason for having the low GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergrad GPA was 3.2 overall with a 3.0 science GPA. NO upward trend, 3 Cs and 3 Ds (all in science - I had to retake organic). I have a master's degree and have been out of school for 6 years. I got a 36 MCAT.

I applied to Medical College of Ohio, OSU, Cinci, and Wright State. I knew I wanted to go to MCO, so as soon as I got the acceptance, I canceled the other interviews and withdrew my applications.

Moral of the story, if one is to be found, is that you can get into medical school with a low GPA - do whatever you have to to make your dream come true.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by ATC2MD:
•My undergrad GPA was 3.2 overall with a 3.0 science GPA. NO upward trend, 3 Cs and 3 Ds (all in science - I had to retake organic). I have a master's degree and have been out of school for 6 years. I got a 36 MCAT.

I applied to Medical College of Ohio, OSU, Cinci, and Wright State. I knew I wanted to go to MCO, so as soon as I got the acceptance, I canceled the other interviews and withdrew my applications.

thanks for sharing... that's really helpful

Moral of the story, if one is to be found, is that you can get into medical school with a low GPA - do whatever you have to to make your dream come true.•••••

I have a pretty low science GPA (3.2) due to a C in gross anatomy and straight Bs in chemistry. Ouch. Despite this less-than-stellar performance, I got into four med schools: UC San Diego, UC Davis, UC Irvine and Loma Linda. (I'm a Cali resident.) Still waiting to hear from UCSF where I'm waitlisted and praying to get in.

I think if you have a low GPA it really helps to do well on the MCAT--proving you are more than your grades.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
•••quote:•••Originally posted by English Chick:
•I have a pretty low science GPA (3.2) due to a C in gross anatomy and straight Bs in chemistry. Ouch. Despite this less-than-stellar performance, I got into four med schools: UC San Diego, UC Davis, UC Irvine and Loma Linda. (I'm a Cali resident.) Still waiting to hear from UCSF where I'm waitlisted and praying to get in.

I think if you have a low GPA it really helps to do well on the MCAT--proving you are more than your grades.

Good luck!•••••It helps to know how well you did on your MCAT, EC's and what your undergrad school was.

My MCAT was 37-39 and my ECs were decent: research in an endocrinology lab but no publications, lots of clinical experience as a Spanish-English translator for an OB/Gyn, and a reasonable amount of community service (tutoring, that kind of thing). I've also done a fair bit of community service type work in a rural community in Mexico. I go to Stanford, where I'm an English major--my interviewers seemed to like that. All told, I think I'm a pretty typical applicant, with a slightly higher MCAT and a slightly lower GPA.

•My MCAT was 37-39 and my ECs were decent: research in an endocrinology lab but no publications, lots of clinical experience as a Spanish-English translator for an OB/Gyn, and a reasonable amount of community service (tutoring, that kind of thing). I've also done a fair bit of community service type work in a rural community in Mexico. I go to Stanford, where I'm an English major--my interviewers seemed to like that. All told, I think I'm a pretty typical applicant, with a slightly higher MCAT and a slightly lower GPA.•••••Hope you get into UCSF !!

•I have a pretty low science GPA (3.2) due to a C in gross anatomy and straight Bs in chemistry. Ouch. Despite this less-than-stellar performance, I got into four med schools: UC San Diego, UC Davis, UC Irvine and Loma Linda. (I'm a Cali resident.) Still waiting to hear from UCSF where I'm waitlisted and praying to get in.

Good luck!•••••What did you get on your MCAT? Did you do anything special other than research and volunteer?

Oops... Didn't see the above post. Sorry.

3.1/34S ... applied to 20, got into two, MSUCHM and Tulane. At Tulane. Ditto what everyone else said ... smoke your MCAT and have an explanation ready (but I never had it brought up).

Good luck,