low GPA and failed class first year of University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobens

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to the University of Alberta. I am 19 years old. I did not take the first year seriously and never showed up to school. I only focused on playing soccer but now I want to get into optometry. I shadowed my cousin at his job and have done a lot of research and its what I want to do. I had a gpa of 2.7 and failed chem 101 because I never showed up. Im being honest. My question is what are my chances of being accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

I go to the University of Alberta. I am 19 years old. I did not take the first year seriously and never showed up to school. I only focused on playing soccer but now I want to get into optometry. I shadowed my cousin at his job and have done a lot of research and its what I want to do. I had a gpa of 2.7 and failed chem 101 because I never showed up. Im being honest. My question is what are my chances of being accepted?

If you get on the ball and start producing and learning, your chances should be as high as anyones.

You are certainly not the first person to ever do that and you certainly won't be the last.

Many people in your situation have gone on to prestegious programs in all fields.

The important thing to do right now is smarten up, do the best you can and start making good scores. I know of no program that will hold one poor semester against you, particularly your first.

Thanks I will smarten up and I'm also wondering if you need a full course load? Like I know to get into medical at the U of A you need to take 5 classes per semester which is a full course load but does that work the same for optometry?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks I will smarten up and I'm also wondering if you need a full course load? Like I know to get into medical at the U of A you need to take 5 classes per semester which is a full course load but does that work the same for optometry?

In general, yes.

Anyone can make good scores taking half a course load or a lighter course load.

What you need to show is that you can make good scores AND carry a full course load because any professional program whether it's optometry or medicine or law or whatever is going to have a much larger load. You have got to show you can handle it.

So take the full load.

I also went to the U of A, although it was many, many years ago. While there I generally took only 4 classes per semester and made up the others in summer session. I did this at the recommendation of my U of A adviser (I was in a serious car accident in my grade 12 year and was having some minor health issues as a result). I only applied to one optometry school and they had no issue with my four course semesters. I didn't, however, have the bad start that you did so that may have made a difference.

Best bet is to ask a couple of schools you are interested in what they think.