Low GPA and high MCAT score....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imsotired

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering.....If your GPA is lower than the average, say about a 3.2 (only because you did really bad freshman year), do you still have good shot at getting in to medical school if your MCAT score is around, let's say, a 35 or above?

Members don't see this ad.

nope...mcdonald's is waiting for you

some schools mention that they take into account the trends in a person's GPA. if you do badly at first, but then really do a lot better, they will factor that in when considering you. NYU specifically mentions this, as do other schools I'm sure. Look around in the MSAR book and on school websites.

from reading numerous testimonies, i would imagine that the whole "miserable freshman year but good from then on" scenario is an ordinary story to adcoms. if your other areas are solid, it should go well for you.

g'luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a overall gpa of 3.3 and bcpm of 3.2 with a MCAT of 34q. I got in several places. But I had a bad 3rd year (I think about a 2.6 gpa, heavy science). I just made sure I improved after that, with semesters of 4.0 and 3.7.

imsotired said:
I was just wondering.....If your GPA is lower than the average, say about a 3.2 (only because you did really bad freshman year), do you still have good shot at getting in to medical school if your MCAT score is around, let's say, a 35 or above?

Yo -

We should start a club. I ended my freshman year with a 2.1, have it up to a 3.3 and also have a 35 MCAT.

Where are you planning on applying? Right now I'm just going early decision at my state med school.

I'm rooting for you... and by correlary, me.

Good luck, let me know how the application process goes for you.

I had a 3.03 science GPA AFTER retaking organic and a 36p. I applied to 4 schools and got all 4 interviews, but only wanted to go to MCO, so I canceled the rest. Good luck!!!