Low GPA and MCAT: What to do in a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdonth2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice big time...

So I applied to allopathic medical schools this year and I'm about 99.9% sure I will not be getting in. My GPA is under a 3.0 and my MCAT score is not high as well. If I have to reapply, what would you recommend doing on my year off? I wanted to do a 1-year Masters, but how am I supposed to reapply in June without being in Grad school first? Any advice!? Thanks!:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

So I applied to allopathic medical schools this year and I'm about 99.9% sure I will not be getting in. My GPA is under a 3.0 and my MCAT score is not high as well. If I have to reapply, what would you recommend doing on my year off? I wanted to do a 1-year Masters, but how am I supposed to reapply in June without being in Grad school first? Any advice!? Thanks!:confused:

It is almost impossible to get into allopathic schools with sub 3.0. Use your year off to take a heavy load of classes and do very well in them. This will likely be a post-baccalaureate degree that you'll have to get. Your GPA is your number one priority and it must be above 3.0, at a minimum. If you are willing to go the DO (doctor of osteopathy) route, then retake all courses in which you received sub-par grades because DO schools replace your bad grades. If you are set on allopathic, you might have to do an SMP (special master's program), but many have a 3.0 cutoff. If your GPA is above 2.8, you may have some luck getting in, but the programs is very intensive and expensive. If you succeed, you'll likely be accepted somewhere. If you fail, there will be no coming back.

After you do that, your next priority will be your MCAT and ECs, depending on how they are right now.

Agree with the poster above. You're going to have to take more than one year off at this point.

For one, they are MUCH harder on reapplicants than they are on applicants. Your application will need to be VERY different. Which means you need to finish the classes first THEN reapply.

You need to do a post-bac. Improve the GPA, retake the MCAT, and probably get some good ECs. Then you can reapply in 1-2 cycles when you're done.

you don't.

you apply to grad school/SMP in january
you get in (hopefully)
you finish the program then apply the following year. applying during grad school would just be a waste of more money.