Low GPA and/or low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJJD

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had a 3.20 GPA and a MCAT score of 24, where would you apply???

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply to a DO school, but that is because I don't think the education is significantly different. And I would have a better chance of getting in without donating a load of money to AMCAS and a bunch of allopathic schools.

I will be taking the MCAT this April. With my GPA (3.2) what would my MCAT be in order for me to have a chance at MD school

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by JJJD
I will be taking the MCAT this April. With my GPA (3.2) what would my MCAT be in order for me to have a chance at MD school

It's tough to say. What do the last 60 hrs look like? What is your science GPA? What are your ECs? Will you have strong LORs? What will your MCAT score be? All of these things will be used to determine admission along with your GPA. If you are high in other areas, it may offset the low GPA. However, you should try for a 30+.

It?s me again with the low GPA (JJJD). I was able to co-author five scientific publications in various scientific fields ranging form HIV research, to Oncology, to Microbiology and to prostate research. I had volunteered in numerous clinics and hospitals, I had shadowed so many doctors that I cannot even keep count. Do you think this would increase my chances?

Yes but the most important thing is the MCAT.

of course your chances are increased...but for schools with a numbers cutoff when they recieve your AMCAS they prolly wont see all the great stuff you did, and year after year there are people that are qualified that dont get in without any real particular reason.

you need to rock the mcat to make it seem that the only thing that is not really strong about your application is your gpa. if its just that one thing...then the schools will be more receptive to you.

apply to many MD and DO schools as well to give yourself every opportunity if you dont care about the finances of applying.

I think that you should retake the MCAT, and if you can get atleast a 27, you should be okay. Apply to a wide range of schools and get all of your application stuff in EARLY!!! Your EC's sound great!

I applied with a 3.35 science GPA, 27 MCAT and great ECs. I applied as soon as I could, got all my materials in early, and applied to a wide range of schools. As a result, I got 7 interviews and 2 acceptances (all to allopathic schools).

Good luck!!!:)

I agree with the above poster. You need to have sufficient numbers to pass the cut-off formula at the med school. I think that most medical schools are going to rank you by some MCAT/GPA combination and then decide if it is worthwhile to look at all of the supplemental info like the ECs and LORs. The extra stuff will help tremendously, but you need to be competitive enough number-wise to force them to look at it.

Which schools would you suggest applying to (beside the DO, which I will apply to)

Unless you are really interested in Osteopathy, I wouldn't apply to DO schools. As long as you bring up your MCAT, you still have a good chance at getting accepted to an MD program.

As for which schools to apply to...get a copy of the MSAR book from the AAMC. Then look for schools that have similar GPA's or MCATs as yours. Apply to those. Definitely apply to your state school too. If you can, apply to around 20 schools, but choose wisely.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by JJJD
Which schools would you suggest applying to (beside the DO, which I will apply to)

well i applied to 43 schools and sent in secondaries for 39-40 of those schools...i didnt let the gpa averages control what schools i applied to since i knew that my gpa would be below the avg of most md schools. i looked at which schools accepted kids with averages near my mcat scores and also places i thought i could endure the next 4 years of my life.

my schools ranged from top ten schools all the way to the "unranked" schools...

do you have any idea of what kind of physician you want to be? are you focused on primary care? maybe a school with a mission that emphasizes primary care might be able to look past the gpa and see if you have what it takes to be a compassionate doc in the PC field.

i dunno...im just throwing out ideas there. the medical admissions is such a random process you never know where you might get some love...my gpa is much lower than the averages at la, but shockingly they showed me some love with an interview invite...so dont let the numbers soley dictate where to apply...apply to places you would want to attend as well. but when your goal is to become a physician...you gotta do what you gotta do....for myself...tho the cost was high...i couldnt afford NOT to apply to that many schools...

Originally posted by mimi1
Unless you are really interested in Osteopathy, I wouldn't apply to DO schools. As long as you bring up your MCAT, you still have a good chance at getting accepted to an MD program.

As for which schools to apply to...get a copy of the MSAR book from the AAMC. Then look for schools that have similar GPA's or MCATs as yours. Apply to those. Definitely apply to your state school too. If you can, apply to around 20 schools, but choose wisely.

Good Luck!

Why would you apply to DO schools unless you are really interested in it? The only difference is OMM, which isn't a big deal. A doctor is a doctor.

By the way many thanks for the comments
:cool: