low gpa and smps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mR LaZy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do smp accept students with gpas below 3.0? i've seen some post with people significantly under 3.0 that get accepted to programs with 3.0 minimum req. How is that? is it because of high MCAT scores?

Members don't see this ad.

They do get accepted. Most times its not a requirement, just a recommendation.

which programs are those?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most I believe. Just apply widely. Though remember, you will need a higher MCAT to make up.

do smp accept students with gpas below 3.0? i've seen some post with people significantly under 3.0 that get accepted to programs with 3.0 minimum req. How is that? is it because of high MCAT scores?

No SMP has a hard-and-fast minimum GPA requirement except for Loyola (3.0) and EVMS (2.75). All other programs that I'm aware of (Drexel, VCU certificate, Georgetown, Tufts, Cincinatti, and Rosalind Franklin) will accept you regardless of your GPA if you have a high enough MCAT score to compensate. How high the MCAT score needs to be depends both on how low your GPA is and the competitiveness of the program. Georgetown is the most competitive (and has a 90+ % success rate) while VCU is the least competitive of the programs I've listed (and I beleive it has barely over a 20% success rate).

Good luck, and post more questions if you have them. Post your stats if you want recommendations

i'm hoovering around a 2.7-2.8 =(. haven't taken the mcats yet. i'm just wondering what my options are, i have about 3 qtrs left of schooling.

Yup, 2.8 is SMP eligible (I'm in one and I have a 2.82. Do well on the MCAT (I mean really well), and also do do well in the classes you have left, and yes you can get in through an SMP. Screw up the MCAT and you either retake it or find a new career.

Good luck.

which one are you in if you don't mind me asking? and how is it going?

does anyone know if GTown will help a pre-dent? accepting a DAT score instead of MCAT??

i want to do postbacc smp for dental school...anyone have any ideas?

Yup, 2.8 is SMP eligible (I'm in one and I have a 2.82. Do well on the MCAT (I mean really well), and also do do well in the classes you have left, and yes you can get in through an SMP. Screw up the MCAT and you either retake it or find a new career.

Good luck.

How did you do on the MCAT?