homeostatic2

2+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey guys,
So I've read everything I could find on here about getting into medical school with a low GPA. I have a cGPA and sGPA in the 3.0-3.3 range, with a somewhat damage-mitigating 515+ MCAT score. After graduating, I did two years of full-time upper-level science post-bac work with a >3.8 GPA, and have several unique pursuits on my application that I had hoped would set me apart.

I studied music at a top 10 undergrad school, I was a nationally acclaimed athlete, and I don't have any red flags on my application outside of my GPA (>100 hours each in clinical volunteering, nonclinical volunteering, and shadowing various specialties).

I have less than a year of research experience with no publications or posters (I had to leave the lab recently to start my SMP), but I was involved in a very ambitious project during which I fell in love with research medicine. My PI really liked me, and I have excellent recommendation letters from him and several other mentors within my humanities coursework, premedical coursework, volunteering, and athletics.

So imagine my surprise when my first interview this cycle was to a top 20 school. I had applied to more than a handful of dream schools as a Hail Mary, and wasn't expecting any love. Suffice it to say, I'm absolutely thrilled, but I'm concerned about how I'll fare in the interview. My research was immensely meaningful to me, but objectively it doesn't sound like much compared to your typical top tier applicant whose research experiences are punctuated by an array of posters and publications. My GPA will likely be a burden on my application even after I'm offered an interview. I'm incredibly happy to have this opportunity, but with this being my first one, I'd love to hear from some other SDN underdogs who have had interviews at top tier schools. How did you prepare for your interview? What went wrong? What went well?

Also, I've been told that I'm a decent writer. I'm not uncomfortable or socially awkward in conversation (I'd even go so far as to call myself fairly charismatic *gasp*) but I'd like to know what I can do to maximize the likelihood that my interviewing skills don't fall short of my sleek and sexy essays.

Thanks in advance to those of you who bother to plow through my neurotic word salad.

Last edited:

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
More proof that there are schools, including top ones, that reward reinvention!
Good luck!

Can you share which school? PM if needed.

Hey guys,
So I've read everything I could find on here about getting into medical school with a low GPA. I have a cGPA and sGPA in the 3.0-3.3 range, with a somewhat damage-mitigating 515+ MCAT score. After graduating, I did two years of full-time upper-level science post-bac work with a >3.8 GPA, and have several unique pursuits on my application that I had hoped would set me apart.

I studied music at a top 10 undergrad school, I was a nationally acclaimed athlete, and I don't have any red flags on my application outside of my GPA (>100 hours each in clinical volunteering, nonclinical volunteering, and shadowing various specialties).

I have less than a year of research experience with no publications or posters (I had to leave the lab recently to start my SMP), but I was involved in a very ambitious project during which I fell in love with research medicine. My PI really liked me, and I have excellent recommendation letters from him and several other mentors within my humanities coursework, premedical coursework, volunteering, and athletics.

So imagine my surprise when my first interview this cycle was to a top 20 school. I had applied to more than a handful of dream schools as a Hail Mary, and wasn't expecting any love. Suffice it to say, I'm absolutely thrilled, but I'm concerned about how I'll fare in the interview. My research was immensely meaningful to me, but objectively it doesn't sound like much compared to your typical top tier applicant whose research experiences are punctuated by an array of posters and publications. My GPA will likely be a burden on my application even after I'm offered an interview. I'm incredibly happy to have this opportunity, but with this being my first one, I'd love to hear from some other SDN underdogs who have had interviews at top tier schools. How did you prepare for your interview? What went wrong? What went well?

Also, I've been told that I'm a decent writer. I'm not uncomfortable or socially awkward in conversation (I'd even go so far as to call myself fairly charismatic *gasp*) but I'd like to know what I can do to maximize the likelihood that my interviewing skills don't fall short of my sleek and sexy essays.

Thanks in advance to those of you who bother to plow through my neurotic word salad.