low gpa apply early vs. slightly higher gpa apply late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fadder3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently a junior at a university that still uses the quarter system. My overall gpa right now is about a 3.45, but my science gpa is only about a 3.2, and I am planning to take the mcat around the end of may/beginning of june. Since my gpa might be a little low for applying to med schools in the states (even DO), I was thinking of taking some science classes in the summer (and get good grades) in order to raise it a little (hopefully to around a 3.4). However, this would mean that I would have to wait to submit my grades when the quarter ends at the end of august, which would delay my application. So is the slight gpa boost worth the risk of applying late? or is it better just to apply early with the lower gpa?
Thanks for your advice

Members don't see this ad.

To be perfectly honest, I think your best bet would be to wait the extra year before applying to get your GPAs as high as possible. That would give you the summer to study for the MCAT so you can do your best.

If you apply in August, it will take about five weeks to get your transcripts verified. It will take about a month to complete all the Secondaries after that. You would be a "late" applicant, thus having a lower chance of getting interview invitations. When you have subpar stats, applying in June gives you the best chance.

Your current numbers make you a better fit for DO schools. A higher MCAT score, higher GPAs, and earlier application would all be in your best interest, whether you plan to apply to MD or DO schools.

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest, I think your best bet would be to wait the extra year before applying to get your GPAs as high as possible. That would give you the summer to study for the MCAT so you can do your best.

If you apply in August, it will take about five weeks to get your transcripts verified. It will take about a month to complete all the Secondaries after that. You would be a "late" applicant, thus having a lower chance of getting interview invitations. When you have subpar stats, applying in June gives you the best chance.

Your current numbers make you a better fit for DO schools. A higher MCAT score, higher GPAs, and earlier application would all be in your best interest, whether you plan to apply to MD or DO schools.

Agreed. One summer+applying late isn't going to do anything to increase your chances. Take another year of science classes, raise it even further than you could have during the summer, and apply early and broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
depends on your mcat...but as other people have posted there's no rush. you can use the year off to build up your GPA and you can take other non-science courses too. they don't necessarily have to be at your 4 year university but at a cheap community college closer to home. during that time you can also work on your EC's.

Apply early early early! (aka first week the app is available) Then send in your summer transcript directly to the med schools you applied at once it is available. Make sure you do really well in the Fall too and send that transcript in as well.

I fully encourage you to apply if you think the rest of your application is strong. It's never fun to look back and think "what if?"