low gpa, avg mcat. chances for DO schools listed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spb103

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just wanted to know my chances since there will be no more grade replacement :(

I am 24 years old, history major, biology minor. NJ resident.
cGPA: 3.098
sGPA: 2.88
** re-took all science courses after undergrad that I got a C/D/or F, and made sure they were all above Bs. The 2.88 is without the retakes!
MCAT: 505

My ECs are pretty dense. Lots of shadowing hours of a DO, volunteering in health clinics in urban areas, soup kitchen, medical research, taking over health classes at underfunded high schools in philadelphia, volunteering with dementia patients, and I work part time at a childrens learning center. I am also a member of IMHO (International Medical Health Organization), been volunteering with them since 2011.
I have 6 letters of recommendation (2 are professors, 1 PI, 1 DO, 2 from volunteering).

**Also due to financial reasons, I can not do a SMP or post bacc. So these are my final grades.

I am applying to these schools. tell me what my chances are! (praying for the best!).
-Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
-Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
-Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
-Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
-Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Georgia Campus
-University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
-University of Pikeville–Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine
-Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
-Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Northwest
-A.T. Still University - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
-Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
-Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
-A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona
-Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
-Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Virginia Campus
-Lincoln Memorial University–DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
-William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine
-University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine
-Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
-Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine Bradenton Campus

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
Rowan
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UIWSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
LUCOM
LECOM
Your low sGPA may result in your application being screened out at some schools. However, your good MCAT and EC's may attract attention at some schools. It would be a good idea to take science courses at a local college (community college is fine) in the coming year in order to raise your sGPA above 3.0 in case you need to reapply.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
Rowan
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UIWSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
LUCOM
LECOM
Your low sGPA may result in your application being screened out at some schools. However, your good MCAT and EC's may attract attention at some schools. It would be a good idea to take science courses at a local college (community college is fine) in the coming year in order to raise your sGPA above 3.0 in case you need to reapply.

Thanks! My science GPA I listed is 2.88 without the retakes. I did re-take the science courses and got As and Bs, I just dont how much that will help me because there is no grade replacement. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
take some science courses over the summer and see if you can get you grades up at all. I mean youre really not TOO far out from the average but just far enough that it might get you screened at a few schools like someone else said. If you have the money take the chance and apply if not definitely wait and do some damage control. i wouldn't retake the mcat tho your score looks fine for that

Thanks! My science GPA I listed is 2.88 without the retakes. I did re-take the science courses and got As and Bs, I just dont how much that will help me because there is no grade replacement. :(

I am curious where you are at now? Did you have success? I have similar stats but additional graduate and post bac courses. Similar MCAT. Did you hear back from either Midwestern, specifically CCOM? Let us know your secondary, interview, acceptance list if you do not mind. Would help others a lot. Thanks.

Hey!
So I applied to about 23 DO schools and all 8 podiatry schools.
I got about 10 secondaries ( and this is just because I met their minimums, another way to make more money off secondary application fees -__-) and the rest were rejections. And by the end of cycle, I did not get into any DO program. However I was invited to interview at a majority of podiatry schools I applied to and ive decided to attend New York College of Podiatric Medicine this fall.

Hey!
So I applied to about 23 DO schools and all 8 podiatry schools.
I got about 10 secondaries ( and this is just because I met their minimums, another way to make more money off secondary application fees -__-) and the rest were rejections. And by the end of cycle, I did not get into any DO program. However I was invited to interview at a majority of podiatry schools I applied to and ive decided to attend New York College of Podiatric Medicine this fall.

Thanks for the update. I’m sorry you didn’t have better luck with DO. I’m concerned for myself but we shall see.

However, congrats on DPM. I have a good friend and mentor that is a DPM and he is absolutely happy with his career.

This whole money issue for applications is terrible. I am going through secondaries and I feel it is such a crapshoot.

Best of luck in the career.

The 2.88 is without the retakes!
What do you mean without retakes?
It doesn't matter if there is grade replacement. All grades, old and newer are counted for GPA. Newer classes that you retook can have a dramatic effect. Have you calculated your overall Science GPA? What is it?

Reactions: 1 user