low gpa, avg MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dumplings

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

i've seen plenty of posts of people getting into DO schools with lower than average MCAT scores (24) and high gpas (3.3 and higher)...but how about low gpa (2.7ish) and avg/higher than avg MCAT score (29)?
also, would an MPH and an MS in bio help out (~3.8)?
i'm a non traditional student and have grades from undergrad that are haunting me from more than 10 years ago...i'm hoping that the progress i am making now will somehow get the adcomm to be more forgiving of the mistakes i made in college.
any thoughts appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone,

i've seen plenty of posts of people getting into DO schools with lower than average MCAT scores (24) and high gpas (3.3 and higher)...but how about low gpa (2.7ish) and avg/higher than avg MCAT score (29)?
i'm a non traditional student and have grades from undergrad that are haunting me from more than 10 years ago...i'm hoping that the progress i am making now will somehow get the adcomm to be more forgiving of the mistakes i made in college.

I'm still in undergrad and haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I would imagine that with a 2.7 gpa, you need something more like a 35+ on the MCAT to have some sort of chance...not to mention great EC's

Just apply early, and call THEM, talk to the admissions staff, explain your circumstances on the secondaries, in the interviews emphasis your potential, but if you do not get in, I would recommend a terminal masters program, work hard in it for a year and re-apply while you are in your masters program.

Good Luck !

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone,

Hi there! I am a non-trad too- had a 2.75 GPA undergrad, and then got a second degree with a 3.94 in biology. I also got a 31 on the MCAT. While I can't speak for DO schools (this is the first time i am perusing the DO boards), I did get interviews at 6 MD schools, and have been accepted to an MD school. In my opinion, it seems that you have more then compensated for your low GPA with your 3.8 with an MPH and an MS in bio. Good luck :luck:

some schools have undergrad cut offs of 3.0. you might want to check up on that.

No school is going to worry about the grades that you got 10 years ago if you had a 3.8 during your MS. Getting that high of a GPA in a masters progam shows that you have definitely matured from what you were as an undergrad and are ready for the work required in med school.

notgettingin,

congrats on your acceptance!! it's so encouraging to hear stories like yours. :)

I have a 2.9 GPA, 29 MCAT, and pretty good ECs. I recieved a few waitlists, several intervies, and acepted to DCOM this year. I would say apply early, and you increase your chances exponentially. Good luck with the whole process - it can be done.

2.75, 30 MCAT. 3 years as a biochemist. Got into every DO school I applied to (PCOM, CCOM, UMDNJ, LECOM) and one MD school. Choose what I felt was the best school of the lot.

If a school has minimum UG GPA requirement can you bypass that with a grad school GPA?

call up each admissions office and ask them about your situation. I would imagine you are fine wiwth the MS/MPH and the GPA's that go along with them. If you only had the 2.7 undergrad, then you would be in hot water. The typical cutoff is 3.0, some are between 2.75 and there though. Nice work on the MCAT and best of luck in your application process.

hi everyone,

Below a 3.0 is very very very hard to get in with. I'm sure it's possible and I would never discourage anyone from trying, but make sure you pay attention to each school's cut off gpa as most are 3.0 or above. Consider a special masters program or other post-bacc curriculum to help you. An MS in bio would be good also, but a lot of grad schools might require a higher gpa for those masters programs (I believe, I may be incorrect on this statement).

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah. some schools have secondary cutoffs of 2.75 or 3.0. maybe retake a few classes at cc or something and work that above a 3.0 and youll be fine.

2.75, 30 MCAT. 3 years as a biochemist. Got into every DO school I applied to (PCOM, CCOM, UMDNJ, LECOM) and one MD school. Choose what I felt was the best school of the lot.

Hi JonnyG,

I saw your post and I could really use some advice/help! I'm from NJ and I actually have UMDNJ and PCOM under my list. I went to UMDNJ's open house a week ago and their presentation said their average gpa is a 3.5 which sorta made me nervous. right now I have a 3.3 and I'm scheduled to take the MCATs on July. Just wish i could get some more info about the application process. Many thanks! :)

Low GPA w/ High MCAT is better than high GPA and low mcat.

In either case you should not apply early.:confused:
All schools see the strongest applicants early and your's will be easy to throw out.
Later in the process an imperfect combo (2.8/29 or 3.8/24) will look stronger.;) It all comes down to who they are comparing you to. :idea:
The mcat is the strongest predicter of success in medical school, of all your under grad classes O-chem is next.

Dr. Leo indicated that LECOM lost 20+ accepted students during last two months before school. If DCOM loses that many as schools hand out last min acceptance letters... many on waitlist will get in. But... the program is just about filled up right now (maybe 4-5 spots left).

All schools see the strongest applicants early and your's will be easy to throw out.
Later in the process an imperfect combo (2.8/29 or 3.8/24) will look stronger.;) It all comes down to who they are comparing you to. :idea:
The mcat is the strongest predicter of success in medical school, of all your under grad classes O-chem is next.

Dr. Leo indicated that LECOM lost 20+ accepted students during last two months before school. If DCOM loses that many as schools hand out last min acceptance letters... many on waitlist will get in. But... the program is just about filled up right now (maybe 4-5 spots left).

Dr.Leo...LECOM:confused: :confused: :confused:

And to the OP...APPLY!!! you will never know your chances untill you apply. Don't listen to nay sayers, don't take advice on anonimous forums whithout a grain of salt...You have to remeber that there is 150 seets on average in class. Now go to the class forums and you will see tops 20 ppl there so i wouldn't take the stats from SDN as the predictor. Obviously ppl who come here to ask questions are usually the ones who care....same goes for the freak out related to the MCAT forum....just apply. THe worst that can happen is they will say "no."
I know quite a few ppl who got in with lower stats but they had:
-great Ecs
-great LORs
-great PS
-great deal of maturity
-great interview skills
We are not ADCOMS here and no one can really tell you what your chances are. The only way to find out is to apply. I also see no reason why would you wait with the application...this is not math:rolleyes: you don't plug in the numbers to the formula to see if you come up with the adequate answear.
:luck: :luck: :luck:

If your bad grades were that long ago, then don't even worry about it. Maybe take another science course, either an evening course, or some kind of distance learning course and do well in it. This will show that you can currently handle the course work that will be thrown at you. Your MCAT score is fine, and so you shouldn't worry too much about your old grades. I'm also a non-trad, and I did poorly my first two semesters of college. Everything I've done since has been great, and I had a 30 MCAT, so the overal GPA was low, but the recent stuff is what matters more and I got into school! I think you will too... and like someone else said... apply early!

If a school has minimum UG GPA requirement can you bypass that with a grad school GPA?

I have wondered this too, as I had UG gpa of 2.92 and PostBacc of 3.81. I believe it depends on the school, with DO obv being a bit more lenient in favoring the PB gpas.

No school is going to worry about the grades that you got 10 years ago if you had a 3.8 during your MS. Getting that high of a GPA in a masters progam shows that you have definitely matured from what you were as an undergrad and are ready for the work required in med school.

Not true at all. They may still screen you based on UG GPA. In addition, some schools might require you go back and take those courses sine it's been 10 years or to take a refresher summer course if you're accepted.

I keep wondering about this. I guess it's all relative though.
I also had a really low UG GPA (2.9), and that was also a long time ago, just like many of these posters.

I did a master's in bio (3.9) and am currently doing some post-bac work. I got a 34 on the MCAT, and I'm a late applicant due to taking August 2006 MCAT.

1 D.O. acceptance (ATSU-SOMA), 2 D.O. waitlists (Touro-NV, Western COMP), 1 M.D. waitlist (Wayne State).

It's surely possible; it's definitely an uphill climb. Hopefully, the above-quoted message rings true. :)

What if you aren't a non-traditonal student. I have a 2.97 and am doing a MS program in the fall, I'm taking the MCAT in July. I've taken it before but I didn't have an effective study tactic for it and only got a 27. But I'm more confident I can do better this time... Do you think I'll have a chance after the MS program for DO school?

At my university you aren't allowed to "replace" grades by taking the same class over again after your 45th credit hour, would it be worth retaking some of the science classes even though I'm doing the Masters?

Later in the process an imperfect combo (2.8/29 or 3.8/24) will look stronger.;
) It all comes down to who they are comparing you to. :idea:

First, the bolded statement is completely false. If you stats are less than perfect, it is to your advantage to apply early. Applying later in the cycle often can hurt those with decent stats as many seats have already been filled. The earlier one applies, the better their chances.

What if you aren't a non-traditonal student. I have a 2.97 and am doing a MS program in the fall, I'm taking the MCAT in July. I've taken it before but I didn't have an effective study tactic for it and only got a 27. But I'm more confident I can do better this time... Do you think I'll have a chance after the MS program for DO school?

At my university you aren't allowed to "replace" grades by taking the same class over again after your 45th credit hour, would it be worth retaking some of the science classes even though I'm doing the Masters?

I think you will have a good chance applying to DO schools. Your previous MCAT is good and if you get a better score in July, then even better. Even though your school won't let you replace grades, AACOMAS will only factor in your best grade for a class into your GPA calculations. Your GPA will need to be higher to increase your chances, so do well in your post-bacc. Retaking any classes in which you got a low score in can only help you. I think if you would have applied this year, you would have gotten at least an interview or two, so if you increase your stats, you will have no problem getting an acceptance, given you have good ECs and do well interviewing. Good luck.