Low GPA but seeking Public Health Major at UCI/UCSD/UCB

D

deleted673284

GPA: 3.42 UW / 4.00 W / 3.75 W+Capped

Test Scores: SAT: 2200 (750 R, 770 W, 680 M)
SAT Subjects: 710 (Bio), 750 (US History), 730 (World History)

Might take ACT if necessary (getting 33-35 on practice tests)

Extracurriculars: 200+ hrs shadowing in local Oncology Department

147 hrs volunteering in a local library (created the successful Reading Initiative at library)

Traveled int'l for a 4 week long internship at a Gov't Health institute over the summer

Treasurer of History Club and a founding member

3 years of HS Debate

In state Asian (Indian American)
Very Competitive Top-Tier CA HS (no ranking)

The major I'm considering (Public Health) is only offered at three UC's (Cal, UCI, UCSD) and my family situation caused me to sometimes falter in certain classes sophomore/junior year. I was thinking if I have a competitive ACT score, UCI or UCSD could happen? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It could happen at any of them. Your math sat is a little low but if you're getting 33-35 act scores i would take it as your sat is on the low side for cal. a high act could help offset your gpa. your ec's are fine. might as well apply and see what happens

Reactions: 1 user
It could happen at any of them. Your math sat is a little low but if you're getting 33-35 act scores i would take it as your sat is on the low side for cal. a high act could help offset your gpa. your ec's are fine. might as well apply and see what happens

Does the major I want to do really matter? I know it's kinda niche, and I don't know a lot of kids clamoring to do it like Bio/BioEng/etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the major I want to do really matter? I know it's kinda niche, and I don't know a lot of kids clamoring to do it like Bio/BioEng/etc.

I think it only matters with like different schools so if public health is in arts and sciences I think its good.

I would say your SAT math score is fine actually. I know this is anecdotal but I had a very similar SAT score (math was a 650) and I was accepted into 11 out of the 12 colleges/universities I applied to (Ivies, top liberal arts, highly ranked state schools). What I'm trying to get out is that you shouldn't stress too much because your overall GPA is competitive and your ECs are top-notch. Also I'm not too familiar with your school's GPA system, but if your weighted GPA is on a 5.00 scale, then it is a little low (if your weighted GPA is on a 4.00 then I would say you're fine).

What might help is if you get your guidance counselor or whoever writes a letter of recommendation to write about your grade slip in the letters you send to this school or somehow include it in your application. An adult who has witnessed you in a class, work, EC, or volunteer setting could vouch for your dedication/hardworking/motivation and help explain your grades. This might help college admission boards better understand your situation (I had to do this when I applied).

Taking the ACT is not a bad idea. Just don't get too hung up on the specific major - you may or may not change once you get into college. I'm on the pre-med track doing a public/global health major but have many friends interested in public health who are also biology, chemistry, business, or anthropology majors.

Reactions: 1 user