Medical Low GPA, but unique story. How can I improve my application for next cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a reinvention student. My aspects are as follows:
- Sub 3.0 cGPA and sGPA (I have so many credits that improving this to a 3.0 is not plausible)
-The past two years (four semesters) of my bachelors my GPA has been a 3.89 over 56 credits mostly of upper level sciences (Did this while becoming a father and having a newborn)
-I have a substantial story (lived in a shelter/have been working since adolescence to help with bills.
-Low SES
-Scribing over 4000 hours
- Taking MCAT in may of this upcoming year after giving myself January to May to solely focus on studying. I have scored within the 503-508 range on 3 practice tests.
- I have an abundance of strong LORs from professors and physicians that I have worked with.
- 3 DO LORs ( I have 8 DO LORs but I figured that is overkill)
- 10 MD LORs (Not using them all)
- Volunteering for the Battered and abused women shelters in my area (200 hours)
- Walk chair person for an organization that deals with Chiari Malformation and Syringomyelia

Im sure I am missing some stuff as well. I just would really like some input on how to make my application better. Any and all comments appreciated, thank you.

p.s. State of residence is Florida.
Which schools have you networked with that you feel you fit the best?

Members don't see this ad.

I have spoken with all schools in Florida both MD and DO. Their responses were that with a good MCAT I would have a shot. I am not very research oriented. Most of the Florida schools I felt a pretty good fit with. I have also contacted all schools on Goro's reinvention list. I appreciate the fact that Drexel focuses on low SES students. I feel I resonate very well with Miami and Lecom as my top two schools (I have friends at both and they have given me great insight on the schools).
First thing: nail that MCAT. Don't plan on getting your practice score results but strive to do better.

Keep.working on networking with schools and students.

I will go to whatever medical school will accept me regardless if I resonate with them or not.

Get rid of that attitude or approach to your application. You aren't a mercenary and you shouldn't want to go to just any medical school. It's like getting married for the sake of being married. You need to know what you expect from your education, your professors, your peers, and your clinical experiences, or else you will find yourself unhappy with your choice of career.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.