Low gpa, can I still get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HispanicAtTheDisco

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just finishing my sophomore year at UF and my gpa is around a 2.6 . My science gpa is probably even lower. I have taken higher level math classes such as differential equations and plan on graduating with an engineering degree. I am also registered to take the MCAT in august and have gotten a 26 on my pretest (I forgot almost all of my biology) Do I still have a chance at getting into medical school's such as UF or UCF? If so, what should I do? I am thinking about doing research over the summer but my friends tell me to focus on the MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
get your GPA up bro. DOn't take the MCAT in the summer, take that time to study for your up coming classes.

Reactions: 1 user
No chance with your current GPA; I wouldn't take the MCAT until you remedy the GPA.

Since the MCAT intrinsically tests you over material that you learned in the classes where you earned the low GPA, you would effectively shoot yourself in the foot and kill your medical school chances on the spot with a poor MCAT score.

I agree with getting your GPA above a 3.0, at the very least. If you are sincere about attending medical school, you may need a special master's program after graduation. You will also need a good MCAT score. Impossible now, not impossible in the future.

Your GPAs are not competitive for any medical school.

You need to start acing things from now on. Do not think about the MCAT until you fix your classroom deficits. If your school has a learning/education center, go seek them out for help with learning and test taking.

Start by retaking any F/D/C science coursework.

And have a backup career plan.

I am just finishing my sophomore year at UF and my gpa is around a 2.6 . My science gpa is probably even lower. I have taken higher level math classes such as differential equations and plan on graduating with an engineering degree. I am also registered to take the MCAT in august and have gotten a 26 on my pretest (I forgot almost all of my biology) Do I still have a chance at getting into medical school's such as UF or UCF? If so, what should I do? I am thinking about doing research over the summer but my friends tell me to focus on the MCAT