Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Low GPA, Chances of getting into a decent pharmacy school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by mmortimer52, Feb 14, 2018.

1. mmortimer52

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey everyone, I was wondering what my chances of getting into a decent pharmacy school are and if you could share your experiences with me. I’m a senior at OSU and have a low cumulative GPA, but I think I have decent extracurriculars. I currently have a 2.9 GPA (but hopefully I will bring it up to a 3.0 after this semester). I have been a tech at CVS for about a year, worked in a research lab for 2 years, and I shadowed a clinical pharmacist. I plan on taking the PCAT in July, and I know I need to do really well on that. What do you think is a good score to balance out my GPA? Do I even have a chance of getting into a decent pharmacy school with these stats? And if so, what schools do you think I would have a good chance of getting in to? Any advice is appreciated!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lalaland33

Pharmacy Student
    I'm not a pharmacy student yet (I'll be starting this fall) but I've heard of students getting into schools with low GPAs especially new schools. But in my opinion, if a school has to beg you to fill their seat, something is wrong. Advice I've seen on posts similar to yours have been: if you're unable to do undergraduate coursework well, you will find pharmacy coursework to be impossible. Try to bring that GPA up in the next year and try taking some harder science courses like Biochemistry, Genetics, Microbiology, Molecular Cell Biology, etc. and see how you do in them/if you find them interesting :) Good luck.

ChemTiger and DailyDaisies like this.
  4. MQQ

MQQ IDK

Pre-Pharmacy
    to be honest... depends on ur undergraduate college. If its top 30+, u are ok...
    Also is that ur science GPA or overall... ?

ChemTiger and lalaland33 like this.
  5. mmortimer52

Pre-Pharmacy
    That's my cumulative. My science is a 2.8

ChemTiger likes this.
  6. MQQ

MQQ IDK

Pre-Pharmacy
    My science GPA was 2.88ish... Got in 2 Top ten pharmacy school.... (wisconsin and Maryland)

ChemTiger likes this.
  7. mmortimer52

Pre-Pharmacy
    If you don't mind me asking what did you get on the PCAT? And did you have a lot of extracurricular activities?

8. MQQ

MQQ IDK

Pre-Pharmacy
    Took the PCAT twice... with various scores... I just tell you the highest... Bio 91, Chem 96, Math 94, Reading 59(English isn't my first language) , overall: 89...
    I studied abroad, bilingual, work in a family store for 10+ yr , worked as work study student in pharmacology lab1+ yr. undergrad researcher for 2 yrs, executive for pharmacy club, volunteer at the hospital since last summer, did a health program 2 summers ago( and other little things). What undergraduate institution u are from can be important too...
    But I got waitlisted for my 1st choice... And it looks like I'm not gonna get in.

ChemTiger likes this.
  9. Pharmboy85

Pharmacy Student
    It’s definitely possible if you’re showing improvement. I was a terrible undergrad student, didn’t go to classes, missed exams etc., and failed to withdraw and received quite a few “Fs” as a result. After graduating with a B.S in Chemistry, I calculated how many credit hours I would need at a 4.0 to at least meet the minimum reqs, which ended up being a crushing 2.5 years. I decided I would regret it for the rest of my life if i didn’t at least try, so I’ve been going to school full-time and working full-time, while maintaining a 4.0, for 1.5 years. I applied in February with a cGPA of 2.2 PCAT 95th comp, and received interviews from 5 of the 6 schools i applied to. Granted I’m not in yet, and I’m planning as if I won’t get in this year and will have to continue working towards raising my GPA, but the fact that they’re willing to interview me shows me that with enough persistence it is definitely not impossible.

ChemTiger and DailyDaisies like this.
  10. Germanicus Julius Caesar

Pharmacy Student
    Basically every school has extended their deadline to June due to lack of quality candidates. If you're above the minimum requirements (usually 2.0 GPA and >30th composite PCAT) I say you have a decent chance.

ChemTiger, Melazine and BidingMyTime like this.