Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Low GPA chances of getting into med school in U.S.?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by George T, Jul 29, 2011.

1. George T

Pre-Medical
    I have a 3.07/4.00 after my sophomore year of my undergraduate. I am transferring schools closer to home and I am going to be starting my 3rd year this coming Fall. I have an upward trend of starting from 2.471->3.091->3.341->3.469 from my old school. I'm a chemistry major, mathematics minor.

My extracurriculars aren't strong. These two EC's below are what I did for this summer.
    -I'm doing a summer internship at the local hospital in the Radiation Safety/Radiation Physics department in which I learn the use of radioactive nuclides such as Iodine 125 & 131, Cesium, & Technetium, etc. in medical procedures. Also, how to do QA on C-arms, radiographic machines, CT scanners.
    -I completed a service learning project in which a group of 10 of us held an awareness benefit & walk for HIV/AIDS, Domestic Violence, Suicide & Breast Cancer raising around $500.

I plan to
    -Try to dive right into research opportunities around campus in chemistry or biology, hopefully do well enough to get it published
    -Volunteer at said hospital as part of the "End of Life Companion" in which I will keep the elderly company during their last hours
    -Work part time at a not-for-profit organization, helping with community projects around the inner city (of Syracuse, NY)
    -Try to achieve great grades for this semester
    -Study for the MCAT on my spare time

Is it still possible for me to apply to med school in the spring and get accepted? Should I even take the MCAT? What will I have to do to get accepted? Please, help me! Thank you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 1TB4RKSB4CK

1TB4RKSB4CK wussup doge
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  4. nisarg2010

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Try they "what are my chances" forum. It will be more helpful.

good luck

5. gettheleadout

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Indeed it will, moving.

6. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Stats-wise, for MD schools (average acceptee stats=3.67/31.1), your upward grade trend is nice to see, but it isn't steep enough yet. With straight As for all of next year, you'll get to a ~3.33. With two years of As, you'll get to a more competitive 3.5, and more important, have four semesters of excellent grades showing that you've truned around your learning style to the point where you have a chance of surviving in med school. With a good MCAT score, you'd have a decent shot of an MD med school acceptance.

DO med schools (average entering student=3.47/26.49) might be possible if you applied in a year as they are more lenient about stats and have a grade forgiveness policy where they only count the most recent class if you retake (assuming same credit hours or greater; need not be at the same school). You could retake whatever classes are dragging your GPA down and become much more competitive in a shorter time frame than for MD schools.

EC-wise, you haven't begun the most important ECs of clinical experience and physician shadowing and would have less than a year's worth when applying (average is 1.5 years+50 hours shadowing).

The research would be fine though, and you do have a start with some nonmedical community service (which would be good to stick with).

You haven't mentioned leadership or teaching, which are other activities that strengthen an application.

The problem I see is that you must get great grades and you'll need to over schedule yourself to get in all the usual and customary ECs, thus compromising your study time. Grades are your first priority, as without them, all the ECs in the world won't bale you out.

I'd strongly suggest that you plan to wait until after senior year to apply, so you'll have a better chance at redeeming your GPA adequately and have enough good ECs of reasonable longevity that adcomms will be drawn to your application.

7. George T

Pre-Medical
    That's some good advice Catalystik. I know i'm far behind in my EC's, that's the dilemma with balancing that and GPA.

-For another EC i forgot to add was that I'm trying to be a math tutor for a local inner city hs, actually my old hs!

Also, if I should wait my senior year to apply, should I not try to take the MCAT this coming spring and take it spring of my senior year?

8. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum

1) An excellent activity as it covers community service and teaching.

2) Keep in mind that the MCAT expires at various times at different schools (most are good for 2 to 3 years). So you need to balance when you know the material best vs when you will apply and the possibility of needing a second application cycle. That said, also, don't take the MCAT until you score in your target zone repeatedly on practice tests.

9. George T

Pre-Medical
    Catalystik, should I be naive to think that I can apply to medical school at the end of my Junior year and get in, even if I push my EC's for the rest of the year?

10. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum

As mentioned, DO med schools might be willing to consider you a year from now if all goes well, as your last semester GPA is in the ballpark they are looking for. For MD schools, while nothing is impossible, I'd think it highly unlikely you'd be ready in a year. You have yet to prove you can earn near-straight As, and I think adcomms will want to see more than a year of sustained excellent academics.

11. Silverfalcon

Silverfalcon Do It
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Comments:
    - Publication comes way too later and takes luck. I would worry about doing well in courses first to find professors who are willing to have you in the lab.
    - MCAT, along with your GPA, should be your main aim. Great EC's do not compensate for low MCAT/GPA despite what you may be led to believe.

12. George T

Pre-Medical
    I'm willing to do what it takes to get into Medical School. I don't have much knowledge on the process and how to go about it. I appreciate the advice everyone has given and any advice anyone will give to me. Get good grades, get a good MCAT score, do some EC's.