Low GPA, decent MCAT cgpa 3.36 w 3.9 DIY postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leinadeel

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Would love any advice on my chances for MD or DO and any help with creating a school list! I know my clinical experience is lacking a bit, but looking to increase my hours and do it consistently for a few months. I'm currently in the process of reinvention and was wondering how my reinvention turned out and how to create a school list accordingly.

• State/Country of Residence: Maryland
  • Year in School: Graduated
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): B.S. in Neurobiology and Physiology
  • Cumulative GPA: Before postbacc was 3.26, after postbacc was 3.36.
  • Science GPA: Before postbacc was 3.03, after was 3.21
  • DIY postbacc: 20 credits of 3.9 gpa, overall upward trend
  • MCAT Score(s): 510 (127/128/127/128)
  • Research Experience: 2000 hours of non-clinical research in lab
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): Co-author/Second author for 2 publications, another paper currently in review
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 250 hours of ER volunteering, only did one year during freshman year though; other volunteering was stopped because of COVID
  • Physician Shadowing: 200 hours, shadowed ER physicians, oncologist, orthopedic
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: 750 hours of various different organizations, Treasurer for an on-campus volunteer organization for about a year, youth mentor for 3 years, distributing medical supplies to places in need
  • Other Extracurricular Activities: Lots of musical stuffs, was "Art scholar" during undergraduates for music, Worship leader for my church for two years, currently working part-time as a tutor in chemistry and math
Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
PCOM
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
ACOM
Your chances are low for MD schools but you could try these:
U Maryland
West Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Hi!

Would love any advice on my chances for MD or DO and any help with creating a school list! I know my clinical experience is lacking a bit, but looking to increase my hours and do it consistently for a few months. I'm currently in the process of reinvention and was wondering how my reinvention turned out and how to create a school list accordingly.

• State/Country of Residence: Maryland
  • Year in School: Graduated
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): B.S. in Neurobiology and Physiology
  • Cumulative GPA: Before postbacc was 3.26, after postbacc was 3.36.
  • Science GPA: Before postbacc was 3.03, after was 3.21
  • DIY postbacc: 20 credits of 3.9 gpa, overall upward trend
  • MCAT Score(s): 510 (127/128/127/128)
  • Research Experience: 2000 hours of non-clinical research in lab
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): Co-author/Second author for 2 publications, another paper currently in review
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 250 hours of ER volunteering, only did one year during freshman year though; other volunteering was stopped because of COVID
  • Physician Shadowing: 200 hours, shadowed ER physicians, oncologist, orthopedic
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: 750 hours of various different organizations, Treasurer for an on-campus volunteer organization for about a year, youth mentor for 3 years, distributing medical supplies to places in need
  • Other Extracurricular Activities: Lots of musical stuffs, was "Art scholar" during undergraduates for music, Worship leader for my church for two years, currently working part-time as a tutor in chemistry and math
Thanks again!
I had a 3.19 GPA which was fixed with s DIY postbacc of 4.0, boosting it to a 3.46 (54ish credits worth of A's). Mixed in with a 506 MCAT, and similar EC/ research as yours, I have been accepted to 4 DO schools so far, and am waiting on 2 more along with my state MD. I only applied to Texas MD programs so if I landed 1 out of the 7 MD schools I applied here, I'm sure you will land a few. Just thought I'd chime in since I had somewhat similar scores!