Low GPA, decent MCAT, chances for DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McGG55

Reaction score
I'm a junior (bio major) expecting to graduate with the following grades and MCAT:
3.4 cGPA, 3.15 sGPA, MCAT 512

I've taken the bulk of the hard stuff already, I am expecting a good upward trend in my grades. It was only chemistry knocking me down for the most part and some math, that's all done but I did poorly and repeated some classes, which took its toll on my sGPA pretty hard in the long run. My non BCPM classes were all A and A- grades, so around a 3.7.

The two practice MCATs I took gave me a 511 and a 512 (I studied a decent amount in my free time). Let's assume I get a 512 once I take it.
These are my ECs, most I've got, the rest are what I can realistically expect to gain once I graduate. Are they weak, average or strong?
1. 450+ Hours volunteering for Red Cross
-300+ Hours volunteered inside hospital doing various jobs/tasks
2. 350+ Hours Clinical Volunteering
3. 200+ Volunteering for other groups/organizations
-multiple volunteer projects out of my home/college state.
4. 250+ Hours research experience
5. 100+ Hours DO & MD shadowing
6. 4 LOR, one MD, one DO, two professors
7. Member of Greek Fraternity - 2.5 years
-Have held two different leadership positions in the fraternity
8. Member of Red Cross club at university
-Officer position in the club
9. Graduated with honors from university
10. Language Learning Hobby - fluent or very proficient in English, German, French, Spanish, Korean, Arabic and one minority middle eastern language.

I doubt I will even consider applying for MD schools, maybe my state one for the heck of it, and will basically be applying to a bunch of DO schools. I don't care about the whole MD vs DO thing, I actually like some of the values of Osteopathic medicine quite a bit. I will apply to every DO school in the midwest and some in the southwest. I have been eyeing the Marian university of osteopathic medicine as my primary school, do I have a good chance there?

I'm half white, half middle-eastern, won't say which specific ethnicity for either, so not really a URM

I know some people here don't like to make assumptions when it comes to stuff like this, but this is my most likely realistic scenario once I graduate and would just like any comments/advice in advance so I can know to change a few things if need be.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump, made up a list of all DO schools I want to apply too. Should I consider applying for any MD schools as well based on my above/predicted stats?

Chicago College
Marian University College
Michigan State University College
William Carey University College
A.T. Still University of Health Sciences Kirksville
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
Nevada Touro University Nevada College
University of Pikeville
Michigan State University
William Carey University
Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College
Edward Via College
Liberty University College
West Virginia School
Georgia Campus Philadelphia College
Des Moines University College
Arkansas College
Alabama College

As long as your MCAT is 505 or higher you could receive interviews at any of the schools on your list. Where is your state of residence?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump, made up a list of all DO schools I want to apply too. Should I consider applying for any MD schools as well based on my above/predicted stats?

Chicago College
Marian University College
Michigan State University College
William Carey University College
A.T. Still University of Health Sciences Kirksville
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
Nevada Touro University Nevada College
University of Pikeville
Michigan State University
William Carey University
Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College
Edward Via College
Liberty University College
West Virginia School
Georgia Campus Philadelphia College
Des Moines University College
Arkansas College
Alabama College
If you actually score a 512 on the MCAT your chances are fine for any DO schools. Maybe also try your state MD schools, and if you have the MSAR, any MD schools for which you cumulative and sGPA fall within at least the 10th percentile for their last matriculating class. I doubt there'd be many of them if any at all. In your list you actually have William Carey twice which is one of the DO schools I wouldn't recommend, along with Lincoln Memorial and Liberty University. The rest ok though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

As long as your MCAT is 505 or higher you could receive interviews at any of the schools on your list. Where is your state of residence?
Currently Illinois. Indiania is more lenient to accepting Illinois students compared to other states or am I mistaken?

If you actually score a 512 on the MCAT your chances are fine for any DO schools. Maybe also try your state MD schools, and if you have the MSAR, any MD schools for which you cumulative and sGPA fall within at least the 10th percentile for their last matriculating class. I doubt there'd be many of them if any at all. In your list you actually have William Carey twice which is one of the DO schools I wouldn't recommend, along with Lincoln Memorial and Liberty University. The rest ok though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile
Thank you for your feedback, I didn't realize I also added Carey twice. I will make sure to ignore those three, they were not high priority anyway. I may put an allopathic school or two in place of them for the heck of it.

Depending on your actual MCAT score you may have a chance for interviews at some MD schools. Post your score here when available.

Watching. I have pretty similar stats as you. EC's looking pretty dang solid though, great work! If you received a C- or under in any of your BCPM courses, some of the colleges on your list will not accept you such as DMU.