Low gpa, decent MCAT. What do you think of this school list?

PNWDoctor

Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
cGPA 3.09
AMCAS sGPA 2.77 :unsure:
AACOMAS sGPA 3.03
MCAT 511 127/127/129/128

Washington State resident, Filipino-American, good ECs and shadowing
Crappy start to college, strong upward trend over last 2 years of undergrad (3.7 over last 80+ credits)
Rural/underserved focused
2 MD LORs, 1 DO LOR, 2 science LORs, 1 non-science LOR

DO schools:
PNWU
ACOM
ATSU (both)
PCOM (both)
BCOM
AZCOM
ARCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVCOM
VCOMs (all 3)
UIWSOM
RVU (both)
LUCOM
NYIT (both)
MUCOM
DMU-COM
Western (both)
LECOMs (all 3)

CCOM?????
Touros???

MD:
University of Washington
Washington State
Wayne State
Rosalind Franklin
UC Irvine (heard they consider Filipino URM)

How does this look? Obviously focused mostly on DO schools and state MDs with a few extra MD schools tossed in because miracles happen. Any schools I should add or remove? Thank you for any input!

Coltuna

2+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
VCOM likes to see high GPA I'm pretty sure.

PossibleDOC?

2+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2016
the mcat may help you at PNWU because I believe like 85% of their incoming class comes from that area I am inclined to ask why you wouldn't just want to wait a year and take another 12-18 credits and get that gpa up to above a 3.1/3.2 making it an easier cycle for you. Either way most likely you'll see some love from the western states I would think

About the Ads

HopefulDoc91

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2015
Philadelphia
Status
Medical Student
I also heard that VCOM likes high GPAs. It's the only school I haven't gotten a secondary from yet. If you do decide to apply, don't waste the $45 on each one in AACOMAS. Just apply to your #1 campus, because when you do the secondary you rank your preferences of campuses (1 application is basically good for all 3 campuses, even though you can select all 3 on the AACOMAS app).

Reactions: PNWDoctor
OP
PNWDoctor

PNWDoctor

Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Thank you all!

the mcat may help you at PNWU because I believe like 85% of their incoming class comes from that area I am inclined to ask why you wouldn't just want to wait a year and take another 12-18 credits and get that gpa up to above a 3.1/3.2 making it an easier cycle for you. Either way most likely you'll see some love from the western states I would think
I've been in college for 5 years and have a ton of credits. I might have better chances if I took yet another year of classes but I don't really want to do that. After I got my MCAT back in July I decided to give it a shot this cycle. I really don't care where I go as long as it's U.S. soil. I know I'll bust my tail to be a great doctor regardless of the school. Just need one of them to take a chance on me :)

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I probably wouldn't bother with PCOM , CCOM , or NYITCOM. But keep your head up OP I think you got a shot.

Reactions: PNWDoctor
About the Ads