Low gpa, decent MCAT. What do you think of this school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PNWDoctor

Class of 2022
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA 3.09
AMCAS sGPA 2.77 :unsure:
AACOMAS sGPA 3.03
MCAT 511 127/127/129/128

Washington State resident, Filipino-American, good ECs and shadowing
Crappy start to college, strong upward trend over last 2 years of undergrad (3.7 over last 80+ credits)
Rural/underserved focused
2 MD LORs, 1 DO LOR, 2 science LORs, 1 non-science LOR

DO schools:
PNWU
ACOM
ATSU (both)
PCOM (both)
BCOM
AZCOM
ARCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVCOM
VCOMs (all 3)
UIWSOM
RVU (both)
LUCOM
NYIT (both)
MUCOM
DMU-COM
Western (both)
LECOMs (all 3)

CCOM?????
Touros???

MD:
University of Washington
Washington State
Wayne State
Rosalind Franklin
UC Irvine (heard they consider Filipino URM)

How does this look? Obviously focused mostly on DO schools and state MDs with a few extra MD schools tossed in because miracles happen. Any schools I should add or remove? Thank you for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

VCOM likes to see high GPA I'm pretty sure.

the mcat may help you at PNWU because I believe like 85% of their incoming class comes from that area I am inclined to ask why you wouldn't just want to wait a year and take another 12-18 credits and get that gpa up to above a 3.1/3.2 making it an easier cycle for you. Either way most likely you'll see some love from the western states I would think

Members don't see this ad :)
I also heard that VCOM likes high GPAs. It's the only school I haven't gotten a secondary from yet. If you do decide to apply, don't waste the $45 on each one in AACOMAS. Just apply to your #1 campus, because when you do the secondary you rank your preferences of campuses (1 application is basically good for all 3 campuses, even though you can select all 3 on the AACOMAS app).

Reactions: 1 user
I would also remove LUCOM, Touro-NY, and LECOM-Bradenton for other reasons

Reactions: 1 users
Nowhere near enough for PCOM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you all!

the mcat may help you at PNWU because I believe like 85% of their incoming class comes from that area I am inclined to ask why you wouldn't just want to wait a year and take another 12-18 credits and get that gpa up to above a 3.1/3.2 making it an easier cycle for you. Either way most likely you'll see some love from the western states I would think

I've been in college for 5 years and have a ton of credits. I might have better chances if I took yet another year of classes but I don't really want to do that. After I got my MCAT back in July I decided to give it a shot this cycle. I really don't care where I go as long as it's U.S. soil. I know I'll bust my tail to be a great doctor regardless of the school. Just need one of them to take a chance on me :)

I probably wouldn't bother with PCOM , CCOM , or NYITCOM. But keep your head up OP I think you got a shot.

Reactions: 1 user