Low gpa due to PCOS induced anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepingatlast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a senior doing bio and want to apply to an SMP then dental. My gpa is really low at a cum of 3.0 and a science at 2.4
I know this is terrible but a lot of it has to do with social anxiety and depression that I just recently found out was from untreated PCOS. I started feeling anxiety halfway through high school and it really hit hard when I started college. I didn't know why or what was happening. Just a few months ago, I was diagnosed with PCOS and found out that all that I was going through was because of hormonal imbalance. I'm currently taking birth control and pretty much all of my symptoms are gone. I'm just really frustrated that if I had gotten tested earlier, a lot of the past several years would have been much different. This was a really big part of my life and a big part of me doing so badly these past few years. My grades this semester look really good for the first time. I'm trying to build and take back that control I lost a while ago. I don't know if this is something I'd be able to mention in interviews. I don't know how else to explain my poor grades or lack of extracurricular in the past 3 years.

The anxiety and depression is not permanent and I feel fine now. I know as long as I take birth control and regulate my androgen levels, I'll be fine. I'm just afraid as to how to explain all of this. I've read that people shouldn't talk about depression and that kind of stuff in interviews or personal statements but I'm not diagnosed with anything. My doctors have told me it's all because of an imbalance.

Please tell me what I should do.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure how to help here since it's out of my expertise, but I'm just popping in to say that I'm glad you're feeling better! Don't lose sight of the bigger picture here: you're shaking off that anxiety and depression finally!:love:

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry that you had to go through that experience, I cannot imagine. This situation has some seriously extenuating circumstances that I think will fall outside what most of us could advise on. My best attempt:

I think if you are applying and interviewing, you will be asked about your grades. I think it could come across as ingenuine if you stretch fake excuses, but nobody that is a normal human will give you a hard time for your medical situation. I would also advise you to get it medically diagnosed, since you mentioned this condition is undiagnosed. It provides substantiation, and documentation will help your case. Lastly, keep going strong and taking care of yourself. Admissions committees will appreciate your ability to bounce back from a tough place. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do an informal or formal post bac and get straight As. I did that for 2 years (informal post bac) and I had a handful of interviews. Not saying I'm getting in this cycle but I feel u and I were in similar situations and it got me to this point. My ogpa must've been a 2.8 before I did this.. schools love to see drastic improvement. Getting over a 20 on the DAT should lock you in. Don't fall short- get ready to make some life changes.

The fact you have a diagnosable reason will also put you in a MUCH stronger position given what I've said.

Take it as you will and good luck ! You're not too far in the hole- If you wanna be a dentist you will be.

Thank you to everyone for the responses! I was feeling very frustrated and regretful about the situation until I read your feedback. I just have to keep moving forward! The PCOS is diagnosed but I don't know if it would be detrimental to mention because I've read so many sdn posts about not mentioning mental health when applying.

I mentioned it in an interview when they asked about my lowest scoring semester. They understood. That may not be every case, but was my mine. Anxiety sucks, thankfully like you I have overcome it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think your biggest strength will be finding a way to take that weakness and turn it into a strong conversational piece. As a very light example, would you rather say:

I was strugling because I have hormonal imbalances. That's the reason for these really poor few semesters. However, I'd have to say I got them in order recently. That accounts for this really good semester etc...

Or,

I found myself struggling and I didn't know why. It turns out I had a hormonal imbalance. I wish I had found out sooner since it's such an easy fix; you can see now my scores have improved etc...

At the end of the day, they're both true. I'd strongly argue that conversation 2 would put much more confidence in an interviewer than conversation 1. The point is: own whatever you're saying - you can do that better than anyone.