low GPA for caribbean medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajz08171988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be getting my bachelor in biology in winter 2015, my GPA is kind low because I had to work full time to support my family, in the begging I was working close to 50 hour week and going to school full time which destruction me my GPA over all is 2.7 I have done a lot of hour shadowing and work in laboratory research

What is my option getting into Caribbean medical school; if yes which one should I apply

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should really work on improving your spelling. Assuming you mean medical schools in the Caribbean, St. Georges or Ross, but one cannot simply tell if you would be admitted solely on your GPA.

1) Consider proof-reading your post and editing in corrections so it's easier to read.

2) See SDN's International Medicine>Caribbean subforum.
i will be getting my bachelor in biology in winter 2015 , my GPA is kind low because i had to work full time to support my family, in the begging i was working close to 50 hour week and going to school full time which destruction me my GPA over all is 2.7 i have done a lot of hour shadowing and work in laboratory research
what is my option getting into Caribbean medical school , if yes which one should i applay

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea what standards the Caribbean sets, and I don't suggest you go there. If your GPA is only going to be as high as 2.7, you aren't going to get much attention from any US MD or DO schools. Have you taken your MCAT yet?

Is English your second language?

i will be getting my bachelor in biology in winter 2015 , my GPA is kind low because i had to work full time to support my family, in the begging i was working close to 50 hour week and going to school full time which destruction me my GPA over all is 2.7 i have done a lot of hour shadowing and work in laboratory research
what is my option getting into Caribbean medical school , if yes which one should i applay

I take it you're an International since your post is unreadable. As Catalystik points out, the International forums is the best place to go for advice.

I have no idea what standards the Caribbean sets, and I don't suggest you go there. If your GPA is only going to be as high as 2.7, you aren't going to get much attention from any US MD or DO schools. Have you taken your MCAT yet?

Is English your second language?
I’m planning to take my MCAT in the summer, and yes English is my second language

You're options are excellent for Carib as long as you're breathing and can write the up-front tuition check, and don't mind the high attrition rates, and poor <50% (and destined to fall even lower) chances of getting into any sort of residency program.

Re-take all your F/D/C science coursework and apply to DO schools.

Reactions: 4 users
You're options are excellent for Carib as long as you're breathing and can write the up-front tuition check, and don't mind the high attrition rates, and poor <50% (and destined to fall even lower) chances of getting into any sort of residency program.

OP: Listen to this man, he's helping you.

I will be getting my B.A./B.S. in Biology the following Winter 2015. My GPA is kind of low because I had to work full time to support my family. In the beginning, I was working close to 50 hour weeks and going to school full time, which destroyed my GPA, which overall is a 2.7. Since then, I have done a lot of shadowing and worked in laboratory research.

What are my options for getting into Caribbean medical school; freaking help, I'm panicking pretty hard right now. jl;aksdfjasldkfjaslkfjsl;d

FTFY. Don't worry about being ESL! Apparently, breathing + money = Carribean MD!

Reactions: 1 user

i have no F, bassicaly when i start school , I didn't care about getting A all i thought getting my BS we get me into medical school and the only science class that I have C is general biology and genetics

I will be getting my bachelor in biology in winter 2015, my GPA is kind low because I had to work full time to support my family, in the begging I was working close to 50 hour week and going to school full time which destruction me my GPA over all is 2.7 I have done a lot of hour shadowing and work in laboratory research

What is my option getting into Caribbean medical school; if yes which one should I apply

It's really sad seeing IMG's with a very poor command of English come to America to try to become physicians and bomb the USMLE because of a lack of language proficiency rather than with the actual USMLE material. I don't see why you'd waste years of effort and money and destroy all chances at practicing in the US because you bombed the USMLE due to not being able to read the questions. Either take courses to improve English proficiency or practice in your home country where you can actually practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have no F, bassicaly when i start school , I didn't care about getting A all i thought getting my BS we get me into medical school and the only science class that I have C is general biology and genetics
Dude. Holy crap. Didn't you do at least a little bit of research into the process during your 4 (or more) years in undergrad?!?!?!

I think OP needs more work than just retaking coursework. It seems OP has poor English skills and that'll impact him negatively. I think for people like OP, it's better to practice in their home country rather than coming into the US.

It's really sad seeing IMG's with a very poor command of English come to America to try to become physicians and bomb the USMLE because of a lack of language proficiency rather than with the actual USMLE material. I don't see why you'd waste years of effort and money and destroy all chances at practicing in the US because you bombed the USMLE due to not being able to read the questions. Either take courses to improve English proficiency or practice in your home country where you can actually practice.

Agreed

My foreign friends obsess over getting good grades because of how competitive it is for foreigners to get into medical school, did you not know this?

Where are you from?

@Goro is 100% correct. DO after grade replacement is your only option. Carib schools are a con and US MD schools will shred your application (after extracting $100 from you).

If you want to practice in the US, you need intensive English language courses (written and spoken word). Study it like your life depended on it- every day. But honestly, your easiest path to medicine is probably in your home country.

I suspect that you'll have a lot of trouble with the MCAT VR, but the Carib mills won't care.

6934bd42213c61d9f8508b327d9993b0-480x349.jpg

I suspect that you'll have a lot of trouble with the MCAT VR, but the Carib mills won't care.
I've read some of them don't even require one to take the MCAT. Of course, if one doesn't tend to do well on standardized tests, what hope is there for decent Step I and II scores required to match into residency training in the US?

Do you have a pulse? If so, you're qualified. Someone from my post-bacc got into a Carib school with a 1.8. She didn't make it. Carib schools will hang you out to dry without a second thought if you mess up. My recommendation is to work on that GPA and bring it up to a 3.0. An SMP would be preferable to Carib school. Don't go to the Caribbean unless it's a vacation.

OP should listen to Goro! Retake classes that you had 'C' or lower so you can take advantage of the DO grade replacement policy... You want your c/sGPA to be 3.3+, then score 27+ in the MCAT and you will be fine for DO...

Trolldar is jumping like crazy at spelling "basically" wrong and spelling "genetics" correctly... not to mention the word vomit in the middle.

MedPR, you truly are too bored.