Low GPA freshman year........is there still hope for a top medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ab2701

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, im really worried right now. My gpa this year is terrible 3.0. Adjusting to college coupled with a terrible illness for one of my parents made it hard for me to focus in school. Im taking summer classes now to boost my gpa to around a 3.2-3.3 . However, Im really worried that my gpa wont be good enough for any medical school. I also have dreams of attending Cornell, Columbia, or possibly Harvard Med, however I feel due to my lackluster first year these dreams are shattered. Im really depressed because the circumstances that I was placed in as a result of my personal life affected my grade performance and could stifle my dreams. Is there any hope for me?

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you get a good MCAT score, probably above 34, than you will have a decent chance. Make sure you are on an upward trend as far as your GPA.

There's still hope if you work super hard and do well. It's still pretty early in your college career and there's still a lot of time to boost up that gpa! Also realize that getting into Harvard, Columbia, and Cornell is a tough thing to do even with a near 4.0, and getting into ANY medical school will fulfill your dream of becoming a doctor.

Hey guys, im really worried right now. My gpa this year is terrible 3.0. Adjusting to college coupled with a terrible illness for one of my parents made it hard for me to focus in school. Im taking summer classes now to boost my gpa to around a 3.2-3.3 . However, Im really worried that my gpa wont be good enough for any medical school. I also have dreams of attending Cornell, Columbia, or possibly Harvard Med, however I feel due to my lackluster first year these dreams are shattered. Im really depressed because the circumstances that I was placed in as a result of my personal life affected my grade performance and could stifle my dreams. Is there any hope for me?

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't get it. You're only a freshman. You had a so-so year with a 3.0. Your focus should be raising that GPA and securing a spot in ANY med school. If 2 years from now, your GPA is at 3.8 and you have a 35 on the MCAT, then maybe you can dream about getting into Harvard.

There are people who have much worse GPA's and thats without any problems to set them back. Since you have the family illness you can explain that to them in your application. I'm working on my PS as we speak and if you can explain you're inadequacies (GPA, MCAT, whatever) then you're ok. Just make sure to work harder and try to take you're core classes over summer if this can lighten your semester load. I've found this to help me. Get involved and don't stress yet. Once you get to your application time then you can start to stress :hardy: Good luck