Jul 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Hi I am a rising 4th year student at UVA and am applying to podiatry school this September and I was wondering what my chances were of getting in. I have a 2.6 gpa (2.8 science). Im taking the Mcat in August. I have lots of extracurriculars and lots of clinical experience and research and have shadowed two podiatrists that are both giving me a recommendation. I also am currently retaking the second part of orgo that I got a D in the first time I took it. What do you guys think? Also UVA is a high ranked school (#23 I believe in the nation, #2 for public schools), does that have any factor on my acceptance?

thanks

May 23, 2009
St. Paul
Status
Podiatry Student
Hi I am a rising 4th year student at UVA and am applying to podiatry school this September and I was wondering what my chances were of getting in. I have a 2.6 gpa (2.8 science). Im taking the Mcat in August. I have lots of extracurriculars and lots of clinical experience and research and have shadowed two podiatrists that are both giving me a recommendation. I also am currently retaking the second part of orgo that I got a D in the first time I took it. What do you guys think? Also UVA is a high ranked school (#23 I believe in the nation, #2 for public schools), does that have any factor on my acceptance?

thanks
Stop posting this 4 times for the love of god!!! It's a small forum and it's not at all necessary to do this.

Your GPA is pretty bad, it really doesn't matter if you went to UVA, it is still sub 3.0. I don't think you will get into schools like north chicago, arizona, western, or iowa. Try and rock the MCAT and maybe it will open those holy doors for you. You can probably get into the rest of the schools if you get a decent score on the placement test, but it may not be a sure thing as admissions is getting tougher.

OP
U
Jul 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Podiatry
sorry for posting so many times, i didnt realize the forum was small

thanks for your input

OP
U
Jul 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Podiatry
if i could get some more opinions, it would really help a lot

thanks

OP
U
Jul 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Podiatry
i was planning on applying early this september in order to be first in the cycle...should i apply or should i wait a year?

lyhrrus

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2009
Status
Podiatry Student
i was planning on applying early this september in order to be first in the cycle...should i apply or should i wait a year?
Applying early is fine, but it is better to focus on your schoolwork and ace it as a previous poster said. GPA is an indicator of how hard you are willing to work, and since this is a long term commitment, they want to see that you have previously paid your dues.

You need to get straight A's. You need to score decently on the MCAT (>25). Schools prefer someone who is hardworking, dedicated and intelligent than someone who is lazy and super-smart.

SkipeeB

10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Your GPA is bad-like real bad. The minimum to apply is a 2.5 and most schools don't consider that competitive. You better retake any coursework that you bombed and work really hard to rock anything else you are taking.

Sorry to be harsh, but you wanted more opinions.

Most people don't care if it's a 'high ranked school' if you can't hack it there. The only time this will come in to play is if they are trying to decide between two great candidates--like person X has 4.0 from OK University, but person Y has a 4.0 from Super Awesome University. But if your GPA is bad, it doesn't matter where its from.

OP
U
Jul 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Will I be able to get into any school with my gpa and if I get an MCAt of 25 or greater if I apply early in the cycle? I have great recommendation letters from 2 pods and my prehealth advisor and the professor that I am doing research for currently. I have tons of extracurriculars and clinical/volunteer experience

May 23, 2009
St. Paul
Status
Podiatry Student
Will I be able to get into any school with my gpa and if I get an MCAt of 25 or greater if I apply early in the cycle? I have great recommendation letters from 2 pods and my prehealth advisor and the professor that I am doing research for currently. I have tons of extracurriculars and clinical/volunteer experience
A lot of applicants have this.

You may get in somewhere, but it may not be your first choice. Where are you looking in particular?

OP
U
Jul 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Either Temple or Barry univeristy...i know my GPA is low, but im going to try to do well on the MCATS

OP
U
Jul 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Podiatry
I just talked to admissions at Barry University and they said that my science gpa of 2.8 is competative. They also said that a mcat score of 20 or 21 is competative. Why are the stats so low for this school?

May 23, 2009
St. Paul
Status
Podiatry Student
I just talked to admissions at Barry University and they said that my science gpa of 2.8 is competative. They also said that a mcat score of 20 or 21 is competative. Why are the stats so low for this school?
They say 2.8 is competitive? Wow, that's pretty crazy. Barry is probably the easiest school to gain acceptance so that may explain this. But then again, just because its easy to get in...does not mean its easy to graduate. They may accept you, but not give you really any scholarship $

Creflo

time to eat
10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Domino's
Consider applying to obtain a masters degree that's closely related to medicine as a backup. Spend a year on that if you don't get in, do well, then you may have a shot of getting in the next year.

dropfoot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Status
Podiatry Student
"But then again, just because its easy to get in...does not mean its easy to graduate." quote

I here this a-lot Norm, but the truth of the matter is that most people that get accepted to Pod school, graduate Pod school. I also believe that if those same people were accepted into an allopathic program that they would graduate M.D. school as well. It is very likely that the competitive nature of Med school jacks up the academic numbers; however, that is not to say that one needs a 32 MCAT and a 3.81 science GPA to make it thru.

dropfoot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Status
Podiatry Student
Now that i am done playing devil's advocate, let me add that I find it hard to believe that any school would consider a 2.8 science GPA competitive, and although it doesn't hurt to apply, i would start taking a serious look at Post Bac programs.

May 23, 2009
St. Paul
Status
Podiatry Student
"But then again, just because its easy to get in...does not mean its easy to graduate." quote

I here this a-lot Norm, but the truth of the matter is that most people that get accepted to Pod school, graduate Pod school. I also believe that if those same people were accepted into an allopathic program that they would graduate M.D. school as well. It is very likely that the competitive nature of Med school jacks up the academic numbers; however, that is not to say that one needs a 32 MCAT and a 3.81 science GPA to make it thru.
I don't know about that, have you seen the attrition rate at some of pod programs? A shi-t ton of people fail out of some programs and others are bumped to 5 year plans. For example, I read that Barry used to have half the class fail out, and that was only a few years back!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2007
Status
Podiatry Student
I don't know about that, have you seen the attrition rate at some of pod programs? A shi-t ton of people fail out of some programs and others are bumped to 5 year plans. For example, I read that Barry used to have half the class fail out, and that was only a few years back!
It's not really a bad thing if you think about it. Crazy? maybe, but that's what Barry get for accepting subpar students.

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2007
Status
Podiatry Student
Now that i am done playing devil's advocate, let me add that I find it hard to believe that any school would consider a 2.8 science GPA competitive, and although it doesn't hurt to apply, i would start taking a serious look at Post Bac programs.
Other than DMU and maybe AZpod, I think all the other schools would consider students with a 2.8 gpa and 20+ mcat.

dropfoot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Status
Podiatry Student
Other than DMU and maybe AZpod, I think all the other schools would consider students with a 2.8 gpa and 20+ mcat.
Yes, but this 2.8 science GPA is attached to a 2.6 overall GPA. It would not surprise me if the OP did land somewhere, but it would not surprise me if he didn't. It would still be a wise idea to look into Post Bac programs.

OP, i am on your side, and I wish you well, but the fact that you are a viable canidate doesn't say much for our educational selection process. Sure, we can revel in the fact that wash out rates are high, but are they really higher than any other medical program or does it just help to appease our ego's?

At the end of the day, should we be concerned with the lower standards of selection for Podiatry school??? I don't know, but we sure as H#ll talk about it enough, don't we???:confused::confused::confused: