Low GPA High MCAT at Ivy (HYP) Undergrad... Med school chances?

nattybbbbb

Jun 11, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hello! I am graduating as a chemistry major from a HYP Ivy with a 3.3 (upward trend) cumulative and a 517 MCAT. What are my chances at an upper mid tier med school? Which tend to like splitters like this? Anyone have any advice / experience / expertise in this area? Would you recommend an SMP? Freaking out a bit going through forums and worried I screwed myself over my freshmen and sophomore years at getting into a decent med school.

penguinsfan71

Jan 7, 2020
    1. Medical Student
      A 3.3 is going to get you passed over at a lot of MD programs, but is perfectly competitive, especially with your MCAT score, at a lot of DO programs! If your heart is set on MD though, I'd recommend an SMP or other post-bacc program, or to apply early and very broadly.

Last edited:
      Reactions: 1 users
      About the Ads

Isoval

Year four and still haven't failed out yet, cool.
      2+ Year Member
    • Jul 5, 2017
      Texas
      1. Medical Student
        Agree with @smcclaine. You've probably got a reasonable chance at MD schools if you applied today, but the chances are mediocre. Wouldn't be surprised if you got in, wouldn't be surprised if you didn't. You're competitive at all DO schools, including those with regional bias.

If you want more than that, SMP or Post-Bacc.

Tyrese

Ty Guy, Oh My!
        Jun 3, 2020
        1. Pre-Medical
          MD app process is kind of holistic iirc.. If you have upward trend, you could explain that in your personal statements (improvement over time). Your high MCAT shows that you have proficiency in med school pre-reqs.

Although like others have said, your chances are slim (not impossible). Apply when you feel confident about your portfolio (if you were adcom, would YOU accept a student with your stats? Be honest). Broaden your choices of med schools, some are more merciful towards sub-3.8 GPAs.

For example, my friend got admitted to UCLA MD program with a 3.4!! I couldn't believe it, til he told me his MCAT (520+) and amazing clinical and non-clinical experiences. It probably also helped that he had a very compelling life story that was woven into his application/interviews.

Overall, you have options. Its not the end of the road. When one door closes, another one opens. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
          About the Ads
          This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.