HopefulMed23

2+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm a non-URM male that graduated from a UC in 2015 and currently taking classes at an official post bacc. I submitted both AMCAS and AACOMAS, and I don't think my chances are AMCAS are very good, so I won't include them here.

AACOMAS: cGPA 3.05, sGPA 3.1, summer will bump to 3.1/3.2 (not considering potential grade replacement at some schools)

GPA has had an upward trend, with the last 70 science credit hours over the past 3 years at ~3.7. Last 30 hours were at post-bacc with 4.0 (18 in Spring Semester, 12 currently in Summer)

MCAT: Jan 2016 - 508, Jan 2017 - 517

Clinical Work Experience: Medical Scribe at ED and Peds Uro (1 year, 1200 hours)

Clinical Volunteer Experience: 50 hours volunteering at student-run clinic that served an underserved Asian population, followed by 370 hours as a Committee Co-Director of that clinic(1 year)

Teaching Experience: 6 quarters of tutoring a Microbiology Lab (80 hours), 2 quarters of TA for anatomy cadaver lab course (300 hours)

Research Experience: 1 year at the VA Hospital working on mostly data entry (~200 hours)

Shadowing Experience: No official shadowing experience, but hopefully extensive scribing in both outpatient and inpatient settings make up for it

Languages: Fluent in Mandarin Chinese which I used in the student-run clinic.

Letters: Post-bac Committee Letter that incorporated 1 Microbiology, 1 Developmental Neurobiology, and English academic letters, and 1 letter from the lead anatomy instructor (MD PhD) and 1 from the pediatric urologist (Chief of Surgery at Med Center)

Currently about to start a full-time MA position at a cosmetic/surgical Dermatology practice.

I should add that I did not decide to pursue medicine until the start of my fourth year, and so all grade improvement, extra-curricular activities, and MCAT were done in a 3 year span (I hope adcoms would look favorably on that but perhaps I am being too wishful?) I don't have any DO letters because I didn't have much time to find one to shadow, but I worked with a bunch of DO residents as a ED scribe. However, since they were residents, I didn't feel like it was appropriate to ask them for a LoR. I talk about that in my secondaries though, and I hope it may be passable?

Submitted AACOMAS Secondaries: PCOM-GA, PCOM-PA, Touro-CA, Touro-NV, DMU, RVU-COM Colorado, AZCOM, NSU, Western Ponoma (got screened out from KCU-COM :()

My top 3 DO schools that I would love to attend are PCOM-PA, RVU-COM, and Western Ponoma. What are my chance at those schools?

DrTempoOne

2+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2016
Status
Podiatry Student
It's strange that your MCAT score is so high but your GPA is below of what most DO schools want (3.3 and above).

From your experiences, you seem in good shape. However, when the schools send you out IIs, be prepare why your GPA is lower than the competitive GPA. To me GPA is more important than a MCAT score because it tells the school 1) if you are consistent 2) if you can handle the coursework and 3) well-rounded in your subjects. A low MCAT score could many possibilities such as test anxiety. So they might go easier on those but GPAs on the other hand could be a different story.

I think PCOM might give you an II since they look at the overall app, RVU-COM is a possibility but it depends on your secondary, and Western Ponoma seems like another possibility since you are from their region (they are more likely to take regional students than OOS).

fldoctorgirl

M2 transplanted from the beach to the midwest
2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Curious: why did you retake a 508 MCAT if you were only targeting DO schools (I'm assuming, based on your GPA)?

It's an awesome improvement, though, so congratulations!

OP
HopefulMed23

HopefulMed23

2+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
@DrTempoOne My GPA is low because my first 3 years were terrible, multiple Fs and a couple Ws, mostly because I was immature and didn't care about school as much as I should have. I think my GPA and ECs afterwards show my frantic rush in trying to create as competitive of an application as I could. I'm really happy to hear that though, I've sent the secondaries from those schools as soon as I've received them, and I'm hoping to hear from them soon

@fldoctorgirl Thank you! I retook my MCAT because I believed I needed an extremely high score to offset my GPA, and because I had scored a couple points lower than my practice tests during my first attempt (probably due to burnout). I'm just grateful to have the opportunity to apply this cycle, all things considered :)

OP
HopefulMed23

HopefulMed23

2+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
@Goro Could I respectfully ask for your opinion? I read your posts frequently and find them to be a great resource

fldoctorgirl

M2 transplanted from the beach to the midwest
2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
@fldoctorgirl Thank you! I retook my MCAT because I believed I needed an extremely high score to offset my GPA, and because I had scored a couple points lower than my practice tests (probably due to burnout). I'm just grateful to have the opportunity to apply this cycle, all things considered :)
Totally understandable, and again, awesome score! I think you definitely have a good shot at getting in this cycle-- luckily, you're over the 3.0 cGPA and sGPA screen that many schools have. For some schools I think it's a 3.25, so look into that when building your list.

I'm not knowledgable with school lists, so I was going to tag the wise Goro in here for you, but I see you already did that! Best of luck to you :)

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I'm a non-URM male that graduated from a UC in 2015 and currently taking classes at an official post bacc. I submitted both AMCAS and AACOMAS, and I don't think my chances are AMCAS are very good, so I won't include them here.

AACOMAS: cGPA 3.05, sGPA 3.1, summer will bump to 3.1/3.2 (not considering potential grade replacement at some schools)

GPA has had an upward trend, with the last 70 science credit hours over the past 3 years at ~3.7. Last 30 hours were at post-bacc with 4.0 (18 in Spring Semester, 12 currently in Summer)

MCAT: Jan 2016 - 508, Jan 2017 - 517

Clinical Work Experience: Medical Scribe at ED and Peds Uro (1 year, 1200 hours)

Clinical Volunteer Experience: 50 hours volunteering at student-run clinic that served an underserved Asian population, followed by 370 hours as a Committee Co-Director of that clinic(1 year)

Teaching Experience: 6 quarters of tutoring a Microbiology Lab (80 hours), 2 quarters of TA for anatomy cadaver lab course (300 hours)

Research Experience: 1 year at the VA Hospital working on mostly data entry (~200 hours)

Shadowing Experience: No official shadowing experience, but hopefully extensive scribing in both outpatient and inpatient settings make up for it

Languages: Fluent in Mandarin Chinese which I used in the student-run clinic.

Letters: Post-bac Committee Letter that incorporated 1 Microbiology, 1 Developmental Neurobiology, and English academic letters, and 1 letter from the lead anatomy instructor (MD PhD) and 1 from the pediatric urologist (Chief of Surgery at Med Center)

Currently about to start a full-time MA position at a cosmetic/surgical Dermatology practice.

I should add that I did not decide to pursue medicine until the start of my fourth year, and so all grade improvement, extra-curricular activities, and MCAT were done in a 3 year span (I hope adcoms would look favorably on that but perhaps I am being too wishful?) I don't have any DO letters because I didn't have much time to find one to shadow, but I worked with a bunch of DO residents as a ED scribe. However, since they were residents, I didn't feel like it was appropriate to ask them for a LoR. I talk about that in my secondaries though, and I hope it may be passable?

Submitted AACOMAS Secondaries: PCOM-GA, PCOM-PA, Touro-CA, Touro-NV, DMU, RVU-COM Colorado, AZCOM, NSU, Western Ponoma (got screened out from KCU-COM :()

My top 3 DO schools that I would love to attend are PCOM-PA, RVU-COM, and Western Ponoma. What are my chance at those schools?
I think chances are excellent. Are you applying to your state MD school?

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Great for Western, but not so great for the other two.

OP
HopefulMed23

HopefulMed23

2+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
@Goro I applied to UC Davis and Cal NorthState as reaches, but not many other in-state schools.

The MD schools that I've submitted secondaries for are: NYMC, University of Arizona-Tucson, Drexel, USF, RFU, Tulane, Albany, Toledo, Quinnipiac, Wake Forest, SLU, Wayne State, and Loyola

Reactions: debzz

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
@Goro I applied to UC Davis and Cal NorthState as reaches, but not many other in-state schools.

The MD schools that I've submitted secondaries for are: NYMC, University of Arizona-Tucson, Drexel, USF, RFU, Tulane, Albany, Toledo, Quinnipiac, Wake Forest, SLU, Wayne State, and Loyola
You do NOT want to go to CNU! Do a search and find out why.

OP
HopefulMed23

HopefulMed23

2+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
@Goro Unfortunately I did my research after submitting my application to CNU and I was disheartened by all the information I read about it, but I would need to receive an acceptance before I can make a decision :(

Do you have any other school recommendations that you think I should add to my list? I've been rejected pre-secondary from UCR, EVMS, and VCU

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
@Goro Unfortunately I did my research after submitting my application to CNU and I was disheartened by all the information I read about it, but I would need to receive an acceptance before I can make a decision :(

Do you have any other school recommendations that you think I should add to my list? I've been rejected pre-secondary from UCR, EVMS, and VCU
The Philly Triplets, NYMC, Albany, Loyola, Rosy F.

Reactions: debzz

Coltuna

2+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
The Philly Triplets, NYMC, Albany, Loyola, Rosy F.
Goro, why does Rosy F seem to be every MD school list? Do they just have a very non-specific mission statement?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Goro, why does Rosy F seem to be every MD school list? Do they just have a very non-specific mission statement?
Look at their median stats, and the 10-90th %iles.

Reactions: Coltuna

holdthemayo

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
May 13, 2014
Ysllodins
Status
Medical Student
I'm a non-URM male that graduated from a UC in 2015 and currently taking classes at an official post bacc. I submitted both AMCAS and

Great for Western, but not so great for the other two.
OP: My stats were very similar to your's. Poor start, strong upward trend, etc. I would expect you to get some interviews for sure from solid DO programs. I think some people underestimate the power of a strong upward trend coupled with a solid MCAT. You have an outside chance at MD too.

Off of your list I got IIs at PCOM-PA, Touro-CA, DMU, and NSU.

I was rejected from RVU-COM

I did not apply to AZCOM, Touro-NV, or Western. Withdrew from PCOM-GA prior to II.

I had other II from schools not on your list.

I think that is a decent list. I will be attending one of those schools this year. I did have to wait a bit longer in the year for my first MD II.

Good luck!

Reactions: HopefulMed23

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I think some people underestimate the power of a strong upward trend coupled with a solid MCAT. You have an outside chance at MD too.
Nah I get it, I had an app like that myself. But PCOM is a crapshoot for everyone, and I know for a fact that RVU doesn't get starry-eyed for high mcats if you don't have an at least somewhat acceptable GPA. OP will definitely get some love though from some good DO programs as some will do anything for an MCAT score like that. Sometimes I think applicants with this profile honestly have a better chance at MD. Congrats on getting those acceptances, I remember when you applied because you were applying at the same time as myself!

holdthemayo

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
May 13, 2014
Ysllodins
Status
Medical Student
Nah I get it, I had an app like that myself. But PCOM is a crapshoot for everyone, and I know for a fact that RVU doesn't get starry-eyed for high mcats if you don't have an at least somewhat acceptable GPA. OP will definitely get some love though from some good DO programs as some will do anything for an MCAT score like that. Sometimes I think applicants with this profile honestly have a better chance at MD. Congrats on getting those acceptances, I remember when you applied because you were applying at the same time as myself!
Thanks. Congrats on your acceptances too. It's kind of crazy that it's been a year since we were doing all of this.