Low gpa high mcat chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nti11matic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if I should do an SMP. I know I'm capable of doing pretty well, but would just doing okay ruin my DO chances? Do I have any shot at MD schools without an SMP? Am I a strong applicant for DO schools or just okay?

Year in school- just graduated

Country/state of residence- NY

Schools to which you are applying- Applying broadly to MD schools in the northeast. Also applying to a few DO schools like NYIT and touro.

Cumulative GPA- 3.28 (3 years of honestly not trying and 4th year 4.0 with 30 biology credits that 4th year)

Science GPA- 3.4 (see above)

MCAT Scores- 519 (130/130/130/129)

Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc)- molecular lab research for 2.5 years, 10hrs/week.

Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites- 150 hours in ER

Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties - 120 hours (cardiology/neurology/family)

Non-clinical volunteering- 100 nonprofit org volunteering

Extracurricular activities- President of Fraternity

Employment history- nothing meaningful

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n)- Y. My brother is a graduate of NYITCOM

Specialty of interest- Neurology.

Members don't see this ad.

When do you plan to apply? You are currently competitive for all DO schools with your current stats. Your chances for MD school are approximately 50%.

When do you plan to apply? You are currently competitive for all DO schools with your current stats. Your chances for MD school are approximately 50%.
Next cycle. Currently tutoring (SAT/ ACT) a lot to try and make some money and I'm going to continue doing my research to try and get published.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you could do a DIY post bacc in the coming year and raise your GPA to 3.4 it would help your chances significantly for MD schools. I suggest these MD schools:
All 4 SUNY's
Albany
NYMC
Hofstra
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Tulane
any new schools that open for 2019 (Seton Hall, Roseman, Kaiser, etc.)
Also apply to at least 10 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users