Low GPA / High MCAT Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amcdonal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out when the best time for me to apply is and what my chances are. Currently I have a cGPA of 2.87 and a sGPA of 2.63 but I have an MCAT of 30Q (11/8/11/Q). I graduated w/ a BS in bio and a minor in chem this past May. Did an internship (unpaid) last summer in a European hospital doing rotations with physicians shadowing them and got a lot of patient contact, it was over 150+ hrs of experience (saw 6 complete foot amputations of diabetics, which got me into podiatry), in addition to volunteering in a local ER for over 60+ hrs. Been shadowing a podiatrist here since spring, will have about 25 hrs with them, in their clinic hours and a few surgery observations.

I also currently work full time as a research technician in the Biochemistry and Biophysics department of the medical school here. About 60% of my work is focused on clinical trials in sickle cell disease and I get a lot of patient contact, as well as hard science lab work. I'll be doing this through next June, so a total of about 12 months work (may even have the chance to be published as a co-author on one or two papers).

I really want to go to TUSPM (NYCPM is 2nd choice). My dilemma is that I am taking 12 more hours of classes online, 6 through a comm. college, the rest at my undergrad school but online also. 6 hrs will be non-science, 6 will be science (the ones at my UG school). I'll be able to raise my GPA to a cGPA of 3.0 and my sGPA to a 2.73, but that won't be until December that those are finished. Am I better off taking the classes and waiting that long to apply with a higher GPA, or applying early (as in the few weeks) with my lower current GPA?

Also, I really want to apply for the Navy HPSP and be a military podiatrist. Any advice on how much I should bring that passion up in my application/interviews and what it's worth to an AdComm?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Nice MCAT, but very low GPA. The thing you have to consider is the intensity with which the courses in Podiatry School are given. The fear is that since you will be forced to work much harder academically, how will your low gpa in college translate?

Your good EC's and your passion for the specialty could be enough to gain you acceptance; however, you may need to prove to the adcom's that you are able/willing to put forth the effort to be successful in Pod school. I am just a pre-pod, but correct me if I am wrong TUSPM requires a "2.5" min gpa for acceptance. That being said, your GPA is not competitive but the rest of your application is. I contacted Temple concerned about a class I received a poor grade in and they said (para-phrasing here): "that a single grade will certainly not keep a student out, the entire applicant is considered for admission." That to me means that this passion you seem to have should be enough for you to gain admission if you can prove that to the school. I would go ahead and apply if I were you. You have the world to gain and nothing to lose. I know that I am already excited about me applying next cycle and getting to see the schools on interviews! You may gain a conditional acceptance which is better than being in my shoes, and having to sit on the sidelines for another year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice MCAT, but very low GPA. The thing you have to consider is the intensity with which the courses in Podiatry School are given. The fear is that since you will be forced to work much harder academically, how will your low gpa in college translate?

Have no fear, 30MCAT means this guy is intelligent. Brains is of much greater value compared to effort when it comes to podiatry school. A smart guy with minimal effort will do just fine, while a smart guy with moderate effort will have no problem ranking in the upper 25% of their class.

Best of luck, hope you get in to the school of your choice.

Last edited:
Have no fear, 30MCAT means this guy is intelligent. Brains is of much greater value compared to effort when it comes to podiatry school. A smart guy with minimal effort will do just fine, while A smart guy with moderate effort will have no problem ranking in the upper 25% of their class.

Best of luck, hope you get in to the school of your choice.

No doubt he has intelligence at all, but the MCAT is a sprint, and college is the marathon. Podiatry School is a triathlon, so how does that fit into the equation?

No doubt he has intelligence at all, but the MCAT is a sprint, and college is the marathon. Podiatry School is a triathlon, so how does that fit into the equation?

You can attempt to run the marathon but without legs (brains) you will not get far. With intelligence, you will have no trouble finishing the marathon with a respectable time as long as you put in the minimal effort required. Now if you put in the hours and train, you will finish the race before most of your classmates.

You can attempt to run the marathon but without legs (brains) you will not get far. With intelligence, you will have no trouble finishing the marathon with a respectable time as long as you put in the minimal effort required. Now if you put in the hours and train, you will finish the race before most of your classmates.

That's exactly the point. Someone who shows they have brains by acing the MCAT leaves a big hole as to why they didn't perform as such in college. What the college scores would tell me if I were on the adcom is that hardly any effort was put into his college years. Conversely, if he had had a 3.8GPA but a much lower MCAT, the explanation could be that he had a bad day on MCAT day, which can always be repeated for improvement.

Or to use your analogy, he had the marathon legs, but chose to walk instead and finish towards the back of the pack. Had he trained he could have finished with a much more respectable time. So why didn't he train? You see what I mean?

That's exactly the point. Someone who shows they have brains by acing the MCAT leaves a big hole as to why they didn't perform as such in college. What the college scores would tell me if I were on the adcom is that hardly any effort was put into his college years. Conversely, if he had had a 3.8GPA but a much lower MCAT, the explanation could be that he had a bad day on MCAT day, which can always be repeated for improvement.

Or to use your analogy, he had the marathon legs, but chose to walk instead and finish towards the back of the pack. Had he trained he could have finished with a much more respectable time. So why didn't he train? You see what I mean?

I understand and respect what you're saying. Personally, I feel the GPA has too many variables associated with it to be used in comparing individuals. Variables such as choice in major, institution, age/maturity level, # of years in completion of degree, etc make it difficult to place much weight on it. The MCAT however is a standardized test that holds more weight. Again this is just my opinion and we may have to agree to disagree.

I understand and respect what you're saying. Personally, I feel the GPA has too many variables associated with it to be used in comparing individuals. Variables such as choice in major, institution, age/maturity level, # of years in completion of degree, etc make it difficult to place much weight on it. The MCAT however is a standardized test that holds more weight. Again this is just my opinion and we may have to agree to disagree.

I think we agree more than disagree, but the concern still is why isn't there more of a balance between the two.

OP,i would apply to every single school now. Someone will take a chance on you with that mcat score. Good luck.

OP,i would apply to every single school now. Someone will take a chance on you with that mcat score. Good luck.

I think you're right. The OP just has to have a real good answer when they ask about the low GPA and how he thinks he'll fare with a more rigorous curriculum.

Hey all,

Actually I have the same problem. My first 2 years GPA was kamikazied by me not knowing I had ADD as well as the competitiveness of my college. Do you all know how the schools take into account tier of school?

Hey all,

Actually I have the same problem. My first 2 years GPA was kamikazied by me not knowing I had ADD as well as the competitiveness of my college. Do you all know how the schools take into account tier of school?

It took you until college until you figured out you had ADD??? Where were your teachers in elementary school, middle school and high school? I would have thought someone would have picked up on ADD along the way.

I have given my opinion many times on "top tier" schools and feel very strongly that this should be taken into consideration. I know for a fact, that some medical and veterinary schools DO take this into consideration, since I know people on the admission committees of these schools.

However, I'm not sure WHAT the adcoms of DPM schools are looking at anymore. In actuality, it sometimes boggles my mind. Intuitively, I would hope that they would take into consideration that a student MAY have a slightly lower GPA if he/she is attending a top tier college/university.

PADPM,

Yup... I pretty much got by through high school with IQ alone. I never had to really spend multiple hours at a time studying. No one saw any problems because I got a perfect SAT, 35 ACT, and graduated top 5 in my class. But, the later the diagnosing, the harder the fall :(

UPDATE: Submitted my app last week on the 6th and I've already received interview invites from TUSPM & NYCPM = )