Low GPA High MCAT Good ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulpremed04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand there are tons of threads on this matter but I was hoping for some opinions on my individual situation. I am a senior at Vanderbilt and will graduate with a 3.0 GPA science 3.1 GPA overall. MCAT came back 38. I have about 100 hours volunteering at hospitals with patient interaction. I have also been working at a hospital doing clinical research for two years, and I will be first author on a paper at the end of the calendar year. This has also allowed me to shadow tons of doctors for extended periods of time, two of which will write me very good letters and one of which is an ex-board member of the hospital. My work in the hospital has been outstanding according to my boss.
My terrible GPA has resulted from undiagnosed depression and an extreme difficulty actually going to class due to resulting insomnia. I received a C+ in Orgo 1, a D in Orgo 2, and a Ds in cell biology and multivariable calculus. In the past I have been a very good student and these classes where I did poorly were the ones I often missed. With my issues resolving thanks to my doctor and new found motivation, this semester should be my best with a GPA of 3.6-3.8.
Now, my plan is to take Orgo 2 again and get an A (I understand this is vital), and also take a few post-bacc classes while working. I will not have the time in one year to take more than 4 classes and raise my GPA to around 3.1.
Does anyone have any recommendations of what to do after this to have a shot at a medical school? Or am I pretty much out of the picture already? I would prefer to stay in the US and go to an allopathic med school, but understand my chances are higher at DO or Carib schools. I’m pretty much asking for an honest evaluation of my chances for US allopathic school, and the best way to increase my luck. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for so much information but I thought I was important to note that ever since my depression has started fading away, there is nothing I want more than to be a doctor. Ever day in the hospital I can't imagine wanting to be anywhere else. So please feel free to shoot me any ideas, or just be honest with me and tell me no chance. I just want to know what I'm looking at.

I wish you did some GPA repair before you received that amazing MCAT score. When will it expire? I suggest just keep taking undergrad courses for a year or 2..all science courses and some retakes. Show adcoms that you can do the course work. With all A's in a post-bac + your MCAT score, you would def receive some interviews if you apply broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish you did some GPA repair before you received that amazing MCAT score. When will it expire? I suggest just keep taking undergrad courses for a year or 2..all science courses and some retakes. Show adcoms that you can do the course work. With all A's in a post-bac + your MCAT score, you would def receive some interviews if you apply broadly.

Thanks. I took the MCAT in September so I believe September 2015, but am not sure. How many classes do you think it would take in the post-bac? Is there a GPA goal or just say 8 classes all As would be fine?

I have no doubt that you have a super upward trend, so key thing is to find those MD schools which will look at that, and not merely the cGPA. Best advice is to call some Admissions deans to see if you're competetive.

You are a lock for any DO program.

No need for Caribbean schools; you'll make it here.

I understand there are tons of threads on this matter but I was hoping for some opinions on my individual situation. I am a senior at Vanderbilt and will graduate with a 3.0 GPA science 3.1 GPA overall. MCAT came back 38. I have about 100 hours volunteering at hospitals with patient interaction. I have also been working at a hospital doing clinical research for two years, and I will be first author on a paper at the end of the calendar year. This has also allowed me to shadow tons of doctors for extended periods of time, two of which will write me very good letters and one of which is an ex-board member of the hospital. My work in the hospital has been outstanding according to my boss.
My terrible GPA has resulted from undiagnosed depression and an extreme difficulty actually going to class due to resulting insomnia. I received a C+ in Orgo 1, a D in Orgo 2, and a Ds in cell biology and multivariable calculus. In the past I have been a very good student and these classes where I did poorly were the ones I often missed. With my issues resolving thanks to my doctor and new found motivation, this semester should be my best with a GPA of 3.6-3.8.
Now, my plan is to take Orgo 2 again and get an A (I understand this is vital), and also take a few post-bacc classes while working. I will not have the time in one year to take more than 4 classes and raise my GPA to around 3.1.
Does anyone have any recommendations of what to do after this to have a shot at a medical school? Or am I pretty much out of the picture already? I would prefer to stay in the US and go to an allopathic med school, but understand my chances are higher at DO or Carib schools. I’m pretty much asking for an honest evaluation of my chances for US allopathic school, and the best way to increase my luck. Thanks

What is your home state?

Does Vandy do Committee Letters? If so, what has premed advising said about the kind of letter they would write for you? What LORs have you gathered (do this before graduating, if you haven't already).

Where will you be retaking Orgo II and any other classes?

What upper division BCMP classes have you taken and what grades did you get?

What is your major? (BTW...Vandy is intense for pre-meds. My cousin is there and he gave up on pre-med rather quickly.)