Low GPA/High MCAT: How did you do this application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banannie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone who had low GPA/high MCAT:

How did you do? Accepted, rejected or still waiting? Feel free to post where you got in, or your stats if you wish.

I realize it's better to have the opposite, but since I can't really change my GPA at this point, I just want to know about the experiences of others in the same situation.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

If by high and low you mean than the average, I was accepted this past cycle. I got into Mayo with a GPA of 3.51 (BCPM GPA 3.44) and a 35 MCAT (11V,12BS,12PS) and received interviews at 4 of the 10 schools to which I applied (Interviews at MCP-HU, Jefferson, U of Washington, Mayo).

GPA (engineering) 3.4, Grad GPA 4.0, MCAT 13,13,13,Q.

Applied to three schools, got three interviews, no acceptances, two waitlists. Probably going to have to re-apply.

I have the same problem raising GPA. I have so many credits that I would need 30 credits of A's to raise my GPA by 0.1 points.

Hope this helps somehow. I probably would have gotten in somewhere if I had applied to more schools. Not an option for me though.

Members don't see this ad :)
C'mon. Someone with a huge discrepancy, please. You know, your typical 2.3 GPA and 32MCAT - got in first try to choice school. Anyone have those numbers?

2.71 gpa, 30 MCAT, got into two schools and several waitlists from numerous interviews.

So is it better to score around the same or a bit higher on the mcat so it "matches" your gpa, or try to score very high and have a large discrepancy?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by mongoose:
•2.71 gpa, 30 MCAT, got into two schools and several waitlists from numerous interviews.•••••Hey Mongoose, Congratulations! I have a few questions...
1) What schools did you get into?
2) Where did you go for undergrad?
and most importantly
3) What were your ECs?
Thanks!

Beckesita,
You'll find that most people with really low gpa's have high mcats or great EC's/research/etc to compensate...

Take a look at this thread:

<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011856" target="_blank">Low GPA thread</a>

•••quote:•••Originally posted by MUN2005:
•So is it better to score around the same or a bit higher on the mcat so it "matches" your gpa, or try to score very high and have a large discrepancy?•••••I'm under the impression that higher is always better. IF you have a low GPA, why would you want to match that with the MCAT?!?

I think there's a thread around here somewhere...anyway, here goes: BCPM gpa, 2.57, overall gpa, 2.8, MCAT, 34Q, got into my state school, with 4 other rejects post-secondary. 4.0 last 8 post-bacc courses, worked the past 5 years in clinic doing pathology and direct patient care, coached boys volleyball and junior golf, had life-changing experience with my daughter, born 7 weeks premature and needing heart surgery at 1 month old.

Tried to concentrate on my positives and demonstrate that I had "grown up" and was different than that undergrad party-animal of 8 years ago. And I too did some calculations: 77 more credits of 4.0 post-bacc courses to get my overall gpa to 3.0, so pretty unfeasible at this point.

Therefore, getting in is possible, but you must compensate with other areas in your application, and your medical school options are somewhat more limited than the 3.8, 38, with cancer research and clinical work experience.

Hope this provides the encouragement you need to work harder NOW and not give up on your dreams.

Beckesita, I got into U.Kentucky and U.Louisville and numerous waitlists. Undergrad first time at Pikeville College, second time at U.Tennessee. EC's include volunteering at Children's Hospital, semi-professional motocross racer, Volunteer tutor for at-risk high school students, etc. Nothing extra special but they definitely set me apart.