low GPA, high MCAT, lots of publications, Special Masters Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GScookie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone with similar stats has applied and can share their experience and strategy. Any advice is appreciated.

Ugrad major: Biomedical Engineering
Ugrad cGPA: 2.43
Ugrad BCPM: 2.84
Special Masters Program cGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 32 (retaking b/c I missed an entire page of questions on a section (doh!).. expect at least a 35)
# publications: 10 (including Nature and other high-impact journals)
8 years research experience (including 3 during Ugrad and 5 post-Ugrad at Harvard)
clinical volunteer work: ~100 hours
shadowing various specialties/practices: ~30 hours

Members don't see this ad.

Wondering if anyone with similar stats has applied and can share their experience and strategy. Any advice is appreciated.

MCAT: 32 (retaking b/c I missed an entire page of questions on a section (doh!).. expect at least a 35)
8 years research experience (including 3 during Ugrad and 5 post-Ugrad at Harvard)

Your SMP wasn't science based?

GPA is too low for any shot imo.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Your SMP wasn't science based?

GPA is too low for any shot imo.

SMP is a Masters in Medical Sciences at BU, so yes - science based. Doesn't help my Ugrad any though.

Just calculated my AACOMAS:

cGPA: 2.75
Science GPA: 3.09

Members don't see this ad :)
There are schools that will give you some love. Tulane, BU, Albany, and perhaps SUNY Upstate...I have a list in my office.

Good SMP. You have a chance at DO schools I would imagine. Possibly MD. I dunno how they view SMPs. I'd listen to Goro on that.

SMP is a Masters in Medical Sciences at BU, so yes - science based. Doesn't help my Ugrad any though.

Just calculated my AACOMAS:

cGPA: 2.75
Science GPA: 3.09

Oh ok. You wrote cGPA in the OP. Made me think it wasn't science.

Also doesn't BU accept a good amount of students from that program?

Thanks to all. Goro -- very interested in hearing more.

MedPR -- BU typically accepts between 15-25 students out of ~170.

There are schools that will give you some love. Tulane, BU, Albany, and perhaps SUNY Upstate...I have a list in my office.

That...is so funny.

I have a really similar story to OP.

2.6cGPA/2.7 BCPM.
37 MCAT
BU MAMS program cGPA 4.0

The funny part is, those are the EXACT schools I received interviews from. Primary was submitted mid july, and most secondaries were finished mid-August, and all by first week of Sept. Received BU interview first, then Tulane and Upstate together, and Albany last. I know if I had been able to submit my app immediately I'd be looking at at least two more interviews, from Drexel/Tufts/NYMC etc.

My best advice to OP is to take as many undergrad courses as you can. If you're second term MAMS, take two UG courses during spring semester (although it may be too late), and cram them into your summer while you're applying. Although they won't do too much, it'll show that you're trying to actively fix your past instead of blanking it out and just working on your grad courses (that was advice to me from GDO herself. I know you know who that is).

With that GPA you will need 35+. Retake that thing and kick the crap out of it. After getting a 4.0 in MAMS you've no excuse not to!

Were you MAMS entering class of 2011?

That...is so funny.

2.6cGPA/2.7 BCPM.
37 MCAT
BU MAMS program cGPA 4.0

The funny part is, those are the EXACT schools I received interviews from. Primary was submitted mid july, and most secondaries were finished mid-August, and all by first week of Sept. Received BU interview first, then Tulane and Upstate together, and Albany last. I know if I had been able to submit my app immediately I'd be looking at at least two more interviews, from Drexel/Tufts/NYMC etc.

My best advice to OP is to take as many undergrad courses as you can. If you're second term MAMS, take two UG courses during spring semester (although it may be too late), and cram them into your summer while you're applying. Although they won't do too much, it'll show that you're trying to actively fix your past instead of blanking it out and just working on your grad courses (that was advice to me from GDO herself. I know you know who that is).

With that GPA you will need 35+. Retake that thing and kick the crap out of it. After getting a 4.0 in MAMS you've no excuse not to!

Goro was suggesting those schools based on your story lol

That...is so funny.

2.6cGPA/2.7 BCPM.
37 MCAT
BU MAMS program cGPA 4.0

Haha, it's so good to know I'm not alone. I entered MAMS 2012, so I'm already in the 2nd semester and it's a little late to add classes. I'll definitely think about that for the summer though.

Did you get any acceptances from those schools? Did you also apply DO and/or Caribbean?

I thought so but I didn't want to assume. Small world :laugh:

Lol just goes to show you how big of a crapshoot this whole process is. Not that I don't respect you Goro for helping us out here on SDN, but clearly a lot of info out there on med school admissions is run on anecdotes :)

Only an admissions officer can tell you whether you have a shot at their school when they are reviewing it for acceptance/rejection, so we've just got to try our best and be realistic :)

Haha, it's so good to know I'm not alone. I entered MAMS 2012, so I'm already in the 2nd semester and it's a little late to add classes. I'll definitely think about that for the summer though.

Did you get any acceptances from those schools? Did you also apply DO and/or Caribbean?

Acceptance from SUNY Upstate, wait-listed at BU and Tulane. I declined the interview offer from Albany after the news from Upstate.

I decided not to apply DO or Caribbean; I knew it would be a waste of money because I wouldn't go even if I had no other options. I would've rather waited another year for the next app cycle.

I heard from my peeps that your class is way cuter than mine was, so that's not even fair :mad:

I know Biochem is over but the next time you see Rauv make sure you tell her to keep training for her marathon and to go easy on the fruit tarts from Flour hahahaha
She'll think it's hilarious trust me.

Lol just goes to show you how big of a crapshoot this whole process is. Not that I don't respect you Goro for helping us out here on SDN, but clearly a lot of info out there on med school admissions is run on anecdotes :)

Only an admissions officer can tell you whether you have a shot at their school when they are reviewing it for acceptance/rejection, so we've just got to try our best and be realistic :)

Absolutely!
I entered the app cycle being cautiously optimistic, and didn't expect to get an interview at all except from BU. I desperately searched SDN back in my day of advice-seeking for how to approach the apps and could only find one or two threads about people similar to my situation, and very, very little about how well people with my stats ended up doing in their app cycle. I figured that I could at least be helpful to others like me and update my thread.

Peeps like you and I, GScookie, just need to get our foot in the door to get an interview so we can show the adcoms that all the ahem, 'socializing' time we spent in college wasn't for nothing. :laugh:

Feel free to message me if you have more questions about how to tackle the upcoming cycle or about MAMS second term.

Acceptance from SUNY Upstate, wait-listed at BU and Tulane. I declined the interview offer from Albany after the news from Upstate.

I decided not to apply DO or Caribbean; I knew it would be a waste of money because I wouldn't go even if I had no other options. I would've rather waited another year for the next app cycle.

I heard from my peeps that your class is way cuter than mine was, so that's not even fair :mad:

I know Biochem is over but the next time you see Rauv make sure you tell her to keep training for her marathon and to go easy on the fruit tarts from Flour hahahaha
She'll think it's hilarious trust me.

Absolutely!
I entered the app cycle being cautiously optimistic, and didn't expect to get an interview at all except from BU. I desperately searched SDN back in my day of advice-seeking for how to approach the apps and could only find one or two threads about people similar to my situation, and very, very little about how well people with my stats ended up doing in their app cycle. I figured that I could at least be helpful to others like me and update my thread.

Peeps like you and I, GScookie, just need to get our foot in the door to get an interview so we can show the adcoms that all the ahem, 'socializing' time we spent in college wasn't for nothing. :laugh:

Feel free to message me if you have more questions about how to tackle the upcoming cycle or about MAMS second term.
Haha, I will mention that to Rauv.. I still see her from time to time. I know that place, Flour... very tempting...

Thanks for posting! Will keep your info handy as I get to renal...