• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Low GPA High MCAT Non-Trad ORM

1DayLilDrBear

Believer in Second Chances :)
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2015
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hello All,

I've been following SDN for a few years and this is my first time posting :) Please be blunt about my chances without being mean ;)
    Side Note: You all have been such a great influence in helping me push forward in hopes of getting a chance at Med School.

Long story short:
    - I worked 50-60+ hours while in undergrad to support my family (Dad in/out of the hospital, medical bills piling up, almost lost our house, lost his job) It was a learning experience for sure.
    -Went to a state school (2.7 ugpa) Since then, I've taken 20 credits and gotten a 4.0 in all upper level science classes (All A+) which raises my ugpa to about a 2.81. Took over 150+ credits in undergrad which is why its so hard to raise my gpa.
    -40 MCAT (2014)
    -ER Scribe (1 year)
    -Volunteer EMT
    -Tons of community service (started ESL program at university, tutor children (8+ years), started nutrition program at orphanage in another country)
    -Research (1 year NIH, 4 summers National Children's Hospital, 2 years Biotech)

I'm applying to lower tier schools. I would love to get into my state school UMD but I don't think that is a possibility with my gpa. Any suggestions as to schools or SMPs? If I don't get in this cycle, I will certainly be taking more upper level science classes and taking another shot at it until I get in! :D

Good luck to all :)

D

deleted480308

usinig the DO schools grade replacement policy you can get your gpa range into the 3.2/3.4 range (if you decide to continue classes in case you don't make it this year)......I think you are risking a year if you don't apply DO as well this year, go shadow one for 20-30hrs

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.