Low GPA, High MCAT School List Help for MD & DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FriedLemon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am trying to compile a school list for MD and DO schools this cycle and would like to apply by the end of the week. Unfortunately, I have a very low GPA.

AMCAS GPA: 3.49 overall, 3.39 science
AACOMAS GPA: 3.55 overall, 3.41 science
MCAT: 518 (C/P: 130, CARS: 127, B/B: 129, P/S: 132)
Ethnicity: Considered Asian
Pre-med committee letter is currently in the works
Disadvantaged status

Clinical experience:
1. Behavioral health technician for individuals recovering from substance use disorders - 1932 hours
2. Live-in caregiver for someone with physical and intellectual disabilities - 4536 hours
3. 20 hours shadowing an emergency room physician at St. Francis Hospital
4. Caregiver for individuals with physical and intellectual disabilities - 2680 hours
5. Medical scribe in the emergency room at Stony Brook University Hospital - 1690 hours

Volunteering:
1. Campus community emergency response team for 198 hours
2. Stony Brook University Hospital for 68 hours

No research experience (bad, I know)

Unique life story. Long story short, I was physically abused all my life by my father and brother. My mother was also abused by my father and brother, and died the day after I turned 12 due to numerous complications. My brother would beat my mother into glass tables, leaving her unconscious. My father encouraged my brother to kill her. She became an alcoholic to deal with depression, and also had brain cancer, diabetes, stomach ulcers, kidney failure, cirrhosis, and other issues. The abuse continued after she died, until I moved away to college at Stony Brook University in New York. I started working in my sophomore year in college. In college, I lived off campus because I could not afford on-campus housing, and had to move three times due to a slew of issues. I walked several miles to the bus stop each day, and did not have reliable transport. One of my landlords was sexually harassing tenants, so I moved. Then, the next was negligent and water came into the apartment, causing all of my stuff to get moldy. I graduated with my bachelor's in 2.5 years, although my GPA is really low. At the time, I wanted to get things over with.

I now live in Pennsylvania, and have taken over the house my mother had when she was alive. I would love to stay here if possible since housing would not cost me extra, so I know I want to apply to Temple, Drexel, Sidney Kimmel, and PCOM at the very minimum.

Can feasibly apply to maybe 40 schools total. I know it's a long shot, but my preference is MD, so I was thinking 30 MD and 10 DO. Can anyone please assist in compiling a list of schools?

I have a list of schools I was considering based on being OOS friendly (with a few exceptions that maybe aren't), within their MCAT ranges, and not below the 10th percentile for their GPA ranges. It seems that for most schools, my MCAT score is 75th to 90th percentile or above, but my GPA is only 10th to 25th percentille.

MD schools:
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Creighton University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Emory University School of Medicine
Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University
Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
State University of New York Upstate Medical University
TCU and UNTHSC SOM
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Illinois College of Medicine
University of Kentucky College of Medicine
University of Louisville School of Medicine
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
University of Minnesota Medical School
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine
University of South Carolina School of Medicine
University of South Dakota, Sanford School of Medicine
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Washington State University Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine

Obviously, the list is too long. Can anyone recommend what should absolutely be cut out, and if anything should be added in?

DO school list:
PCOM

So far, I really haven't looked into the DO schools I would be applying to yet, but I know that PCOM is very close to me, so I want to apply there. What other DO schools should I apply to?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a rising GPA trend????

For DO, any DO school. suggest NYITCOM, UNECOM, PCOM, all LECOMs, all VCOM (except LA), CCOM, MUCOM, all Touros, KCU, DMU, CUSOM, ACOM and both Westerns

I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

For MD, refining your list. Invest in MSAR Online and eliminate those schools where your GPAs are < their 10th %iles for acceptees. BTW, you had tons of schools on your list that accept few, if any OOSers.

New York Medical College
Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University and all other SUNYs
TCU and UNTHSC SOM

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a rising GPA trend????

For DO, any DO school. suggest NYITCOM, UNECOM, PCOM, all LECOMs, all VCOM (except LA), CCOM, MUCOM, all Touros, KCU, DMU, CUSOM, ACOM and both Westerns

I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

For MD, refining your list. Invest in MSAR Online and eliminate those schools where your GPAs are < their 10th %iles for acceptees. BTW, you had tons of schools on your list that accept few, if any OOSers.

New York Medical College
Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University and all other SUNYs
TCU and UNTHSC SOM
Goro, you keep bashing MSU because of Larry Nassar. Are you going to bash the University of Michigan for the escapades of Robert Anderson?

Members don't see this ad :)
Goro, you keep bashing MSU because of Larry Nassar. Are you going to bash the University of Michigan for the escapades of Robert Anderson?
Was Robert Anderson affiliated with University of Michigan Medical School beyond being an alumnus? I understand that Nassar was active faculty at MSUCOM up until he was charged.

It was not just Nassar. The administrators above him knew what was going on and did nothing. An MSU COM dean is in jail because he A) was overseeing Nassar and B) was sexually harassing medical students. This is indicative of a widespread problem within the school administration that goes beyond the evils of one person.
You can draw distinctions without a real difference, if that makes you feel better. However, Anderson's exploits were well known within the athletic department particularly to Don Canham the athletic director. Although the U of M is a highly prestigious school academically, there is no department on that campus that is politically and institutionally more important than the athletic department.

As I'm typing this, the U of M is doing everything it can to keep the Anderson cases out of the courts and the press.

Michigan's efforts to sweep these cases under the rug is not new. The Washtenaw County Prosecutor's knuckles under when U of M athletes are charged with serious crimes. No criminal case involving U of M athletes ever goes to trial. Everything is settled with a plea bargain and probation. There are dozens of examples of this process going back to the seventies. There is no evidence of the U of M objecting to this prosecutorial malfeasance.

You can draw distinctions without a real difference, if that makes you feel better. However, Anderson's exploits were well known within the athletic department particularly to Don Canham the athletic director. Although the U of M is a highly prestigious school academically, there is no department on that campus that is politically and institutionally more important than the athletic department.

As I'm typing this, the U of M is doing everything it can to keep the Anderson cases out of the courts and the press.

Michigan's efforts to sweep these cases under the rug is not new. The Washtenaw County Prosecutor's knuckles under when U of M athletes are charged with serious crimes. No criminal case involving U of M athletes ever goes to trial. Everything is settled with a plea bargain and probation. There are dozens of examples of this process going back to the seventies. There is no evidence of the U of M objecting to this prosecutorial malfeasance.
Again, what does this have to do with the University of Michigan Medical School and why do you think @Goro should be bashing them? Should they have not let him graduate back in 1953?

U of M might be trying to avoid a public trial, but I don't think they are attempting to sweep the case under the rug. Their university news site has postings going back to February asking those with knowledge or experience to come forward (I would link if I could). Hopefully, action will be taken to bring justice and closure to those who were affected by this terrible person. I am not sure who should suffer the consequences, however, as the physician in question died over a decade ago, and the athletic director you discussed preceded him by a few years as well.

Again, what does this have to do with the University of Michigan Medical School and why do you think @Goro should be bashing them? Should they have not let him graduate back in 1953?

U of M might be trying to avoid a public trial, but I don't think they are attempting to sweep the case under the rug. Their university news site has postings going back to February asking those with knowledge or experience to come forward (I would link if I could). Hopefully, action will be taken to bring justice and closure to those who were affected by this terrible person. I am not sure who should suffer the consequences, however, as the physician in question died over a decade ago, and the athletic director you discussed preceded him by a few years as well.
Michigan is just as culpable and has been less forthcoming in this debacle than MSU was. If Goro is going to bash MSU, he ought to bash Michigan as well. Is he going to tell anybody who gets into Michigan's med school that they ought to go somewhere else because of Anderson?

Michigan is absolutely trying to sweep this under the rug. The reputation of one of Michigan's demigods, Bo Schembechler, is at risk. Michigan wants no part of public testimony in these cases.

Michigan is just as culpable and has been less forthcoming in this debacle than MSU was. If Goro is going to bash MSU, he ought to bash Michigan as well. Is he going to tell anybody who gets into Michigan's med school that they ought to go somewhere else because of Anderson?

Michigan is absolutely trying to sweep this under the rug. The reputation of one of Michigan's demigods, Bo Schembechler, is at risk. Michigan wants no part of public testimony in these cases.
You didn’t answer my question. What role does UMMS have in this, and why should applicants reconsider attending this school? Nassar was active faculty at MSUCOM. Notice how nobody is bashing MSUCHM for his actions and those of the individuals above him at the osteopathic school who assisted in the coverup. If Anderson was affiliated with Michigan’s medical school in the last 60 years, perhaps your point would be relevant.

You didn’t answer my question. What role does UMMS have in this, and why should applicants reconsider attending this school? Nassar was active faculty at MSUCOM. Notice how nobody is bashing MSUCHM for his actions and those of the individuals above him at the osteopathic school who assisted in the coverup. If Anderson was affiliated with Michigan’s medical school in the last 60 years, perhaps your point would be relevant.
I answered your question. The University of Michigan Medical School is a subsidiary institution to and part of the greater University of Michigan. The administrators of the University of Michigan have done their very best to sweep the Anderson story under the rug. First, they tried to get the lawsuits thrown out of court with no compensation to victims. Now, they are doing their best reach private settlements with the victims to avoid public testimony. In your opinion, is that pattern of behavior ethical?

Goro keeps bashing MSUCOM and tells people not to apply or go there because of Larry Nassar. My principal point in my post is that it's ridiculous not to apply to MSUCOM, especially for Michigan residents, because of Nassar's crimes. Please tell me how the residency or employment prospects of MSUCOM graduates have been diminished as a consequence of the Nassar's crimes. Show me the data.

Uhh actually @Goro tells people to read up on Larry Nassar and make a decision for themselves. Which is pretty much what everyone does anyway-make a decision for themselves on where to apply. I doubt very many people even bother to look up who Larry Nassar is or what the story is behind the name!

Uhh actually @Goro tells people to read up on Larry Nassar and make a decision for themselves. Which is pretty much what everyone does anyway-make a decision for themselves on where to apply. I doubt very many people even bother to look up who Larry Nassar is or what the story is behind the name!
I have him on Ignore. Makes me wonder what cereal box he got his law degree in.