Low GPA/High MCAT School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runawaymoose

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your clinical volunteering hrs are very low. You should really consider bumping those up to about at LEAST 150-200. Also maybe consider adding some OOS friendly/private schools (e.g. Wake Forest, U of Miami, U of Iowa, U of Indiana, Ohio State). Your MCAT should be in the upper range for all of those schools I think.

Also, off topic, what did you do to boost your B/B and C/P scores the 2nd time around? Im pretty much in the same boat (Good CARS and P/S but average B/B and C/P) and looking for that extra boost to 515-520 range.

Edit: I see you already have Creighton so you should probably add the other Jesuit schools (e.g. SLU, Georgetown)

In addition to your PA schools I suggest adding these:
Pittsburgh
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Seton Hall
Georg Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
West Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
TCU-UNT
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Loma Linda
Kaiser
California University
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
PCOM
LECOM
NYIT
UNECOM
MU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-SOMA
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
AZCOM

Reactions: 1 user
Your clinical volunteering hrs are very low. You should really consider bumping those up to about at LEAST 150-200. Also maybe consider adding some OOS friendly/private schools (e.g. Wake Forest, U of Miami, U of Iowa, U of Indiana, Ohio State). Your MCAT should be in the upper range for all of those schools I think.

Also, off topic, what did you do to boost your B/B and C/P scores the 2nd time around? Im pretty much in the same boat (Good CARS and P/S but average B/B and C/P) and looking for that extra boost to 515-520 range.

Edit: I see you already have Creighton so you should probably add the other Jesuit schools (e.g. SLU, Georgetown)

I'm definitely worried about lack of clinical hours, and am working on getting those up--hoping that mentioning additional hospital volunteering on secondaries will alleviate the weakness at least a little, but we'll see I guess. And thank you, I will check out those schools!

Personally I did very little practice the first time around and got really caught up in content review. This time, I probably focused 80% of my time on doing passages--if you're not already using it, UWorld has a bunch of practice problems and gives great explanations for why answers are right or wrong. I tried to do sets of 25-30 questions at a time, see what I got wrong, then do content review for those specific concepts. Also, get comfortable with topics you hate, even if they're considered low-yield. For example, I noticed I tended to panic when organic chem questions came up so I spent a massive amount of time getting comfortable with ochem which made the whole C/P section feel less frightening. Also, spending time trying to understand physics formulas and units instead of just memorizing them made me feel a lot calmer while testing and definitely helped my score. For B/B, again, knowing content was definitely important, but getting used to the passages and the kind of information they wanted us to be pulling out from them ended up being massively helpful. Sorry, not sure how useful that advice really was, but basically consistent practice + review was what worked for me. Good luck, you got this!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user