Low GPA/high MCAT/strong research - what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rtczw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a rising senior, planning on taking a gap year (so applying next cycle, not this current one). I'm 100% set on going into research, so I'll be applying to MD/PhD and PhD programs only. I would obviously prefer to go to an MD/PhD program, but I'm unsure about whether my relatively low GPA would be prohibitive in being accepted to a strong program. I've listed most of my stats below, but can include additional information in comments if necessary.

cGPA: 3.40
sGPA: not really sure, but it should be roughly the same
MCAT: 523
GRE: I don't know if any MD/PhD programs even look at this, but... 170Q/166V/5.0W
Volunteer service: ~200 hrs at hospital.
Shadowing: None yet, planning to start soon. Should be able to get a significant number of hours by the time I apply.
Research: Been in the same cancer-related BME lab at my school since freshman year, including one summer full time. Contributed to quite a few projects there. One summer of research at top 3 institution in BME (lab is the leader in its specific area of research). PI here was also a professor at the affiliated medical school. This summer + fall (taking the semester off, still graduating on time) I'm at a top 3 institution in neuroscience (lab here is also the leader in its specific area of research). Should have strong letters from all three of my PIs. Oh, and I (along with a couple of friends) also started up a research project independently from a lab and managed to raise ~5000 dollars by presenting the idea to various faculty. That project is on hold for the summer, but is going well and should be complete by the time I apply. Also planning on working as a research assistant/tech during my gap year.
Publications/presentations: One publication out already, another submitted. Potentially a third one submitted/published by the time I apply, but no guarantees there. Extensive poster presentations, including national conference, received a couple of awards from presentations at undergraduate-only events.

The fields I'm looking at for my PhD are neuroscience>cancer biology>developmental biology. So my questions regarding my application: Are my chances of getting into an MD/PhD program good? Are my chances at a top MD/PhD program good? What can I do to improve my application over the next year? Any other advice? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Great, that's really exciting, I was pretty worried that my mess-up with the GPA would rule me out. What are some examples of schools that you think I would be on par for? And is there anything else I could do over the next year to make up for my GPA/improve my app in other ways?

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to apply broad. cGPA is reported in the MSTP tables (MCAT is not longer reported), which means that some programs are taking bigger chances with low MCATs but can't afford to take low GPAs. Your chances are still good but you must apply broadly. PM me if you want more specific advise.

Each school screens applicants differently. I know some schools that when they interview you, the interview only sees your WRITTEN application. No stats. That is not to say stats don't matter, they matter a lot when deciding who to interview. Plus, if an applicant has a low GPA high MCAT, they sometimes look at the last 60 units to look for signs of academic growth because some are late bloomers.