Low GPA, High MCAT, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SumGai

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will graduating with a M.Eng in BME from a top-5 school in may. My undergraduate degree is a double in Bioengineering and Biology (emphasis neuroscience) from a mediocre school. My AAMCAS GPA is 3.4 sGPA 3.57. My AACOM GPA is 3.87 sGPA 3.92. My MCAT is 40s.

I am 33 and a URM. I have worked as a LPN for the past 2 years so I've got tons of clinical experience and great LORs from faculty and physicians I've worked with. I've got a solid year of laboratory research from BME.

So here's the sob story with my grades/time away from school. When I was 15 my mother was convicted of fraud and because I was already estranged from my father the next three years were hell (no consistent place to live, blah blah blah cry me a river...I know). My mom came home and urged me to go to school so I "went" to the local community college for a few abyssmal semesters. I just never went to class, I didn't have transportation and honestly I was still helping to take care of my younger brothers and sisters and community college wasn't high on my list of priorities.

After ending the charade I started working for a family business my mother started. I ended up running the company for 5 years and I'm proud to say my mom and stepdad are now millionaires. Once the company was stable I decided to go back to school and seriously this time. I retook every class I failed or withdrew from but one. I've gotten an A in every class but one (bio 102 - C which I retook for and A) since I've been back in school. That includes the Master's program I'm currently in. 150+ credit hours of A work with one C very early on. I've worked full-time the entire span. 5 years ago my wife and I adopted her at-risk 13 year old niece so I've never had the option of not providing. Going to medical school will be the first truly selfish thing I've done in some time.

As I mentioned earlier the BME M.Eng program I'm graduating from is very prestigious. Many of my counterparts are locks for top-10 med schools. I'm wondering what I should be expecting given my questionable academic start? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd apply to Top-10 if I were you - you're exactly the kind of success story that should be featured in news papers to help everyone feel like the world is a beautiful place.

Reactions: 1 user
You're golden. No need to fuss about your early academics. You've clearly shown you can handle medical school. Your personal essay will glow.

Hey guys,

I will graduating with a M.Eng in BME from a top-5 school in may. My undergraduate degree is a double in Bioengineering and Biology (emphasis neuroscience) from a mediocre school. My AAMCAS GPA is 3.4 sGPA 3.57. My AACOM GPA is 3.87 sGPA 3.92. My MCAT is 40s.

I am 33 and a URM. I have worked as a LPN for the past 2 years so I've got tons of clinical experience and great LORs from faculty and physicians I've worked with. I've got a solid year of laboratory research from BME.

So here's the sob story with my grades/time away from school. When I was 15 my mother was convicted of fraud and because I was already estranged from my father the next three years were hell (no consistent place to live, blah blah blah cry me a river...I know). My mom came home and urged me to go to school so I "went" to the local community college for a few abyssmal semesters. I just never went to class, I didn't have transportation and honestly I was still helping to take care of my younger brothers and sisters and community college wasn't high on my list of priorities.

After ending the charade I started working for a family business my mother started. I ended up running the company for 5 years and I'm proud to say my mom and stepdad are now millionaires. Once the company was stable I decided to go back to school and seriously this time. I retook every class I failed or withdrew from but one. I've gotten an A in every class but one (bio 102 - C which I retook for and A) since I've been back in school. That includes the Master's program I'm currently in. 150+ credit hours of A work with one C very early on. I've worked full-time the entire span. 5 years ago my wife and I adopted her at-risk 13 year old niece so I've never had the option of not providing. Going to medical school will be the first truly selfish thing I've done in some time.

As I mentioned earlier the BME M.Eng program I'm graduating from is very prestigious. Many of my counterparts are locks for top-10 med schools. I'm wondering what I should be expecting given my questionable academic start? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quite competitive indeed. Why would you even calculate your AACOMAS gpas with an MCAT like that? Do you have any interest in DO programs? Mid-tier to upper-mid tier MD programs for you good sir.

Going to medical school will be the first truly selfish thing I've done in some time.

don't think of it like that. it's an investment in yourself AND your family, and I'm sure they understand that.

You can get in almost anywhere you want. Best of luck!

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

Awesome story! Good luck!

Wow,

Thanks for all the kind words. It's kind of overwhelming. I'm also concerned because my volunteering is on the REALLY light side (30-40 hours). I just haven't had a great deal of time for it (sounds awful). The academic environment I'm in is ultracompetitive and it's easy to forget what's actually considered a "good" academic record. The pedigree of some of these kids jaw-dropping. I have the lowest undergrad gpa in this program and IT AIN'T CLOSE (excuse the vernacular and the syntax lol). It took a lot of As before ANYONE thought I belonged here. It's been this experience that has made me want to pursue a more competitive medical school experience but to this point no one has wanted to tell me whether or not I'm being overambitious. Here is what I do know: everyday I'm surrounded by people who are smarter than I am, but no one ever works harder than I do :thumbup:.

I wouldn't consider a 3.57 GPA "low", it's actually above average for all applicants and slightly below average for matriculants, but slightly below average is not the same thing as low. When I hear low GPA I think below 3.5. anyway, you will definitely be very successful, you are very competitive