MD Low GPA, High MCAT - WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meowing-moose

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First time here. I thought that I could use some guidance and compiling a list of MD schools that fall into my range. Overall, I feel sort of unconfident in my application but I am also worried about selling myself short. Thanks in advance!

About Me:
-CA resident
-Attended a UC school (T10 public school, ranked in the top 3 for UC's)

Stats:

-3.65cGPA/3.61sGPA (strong upward trend)

-519 MCAT (130/127/132/130)

EC's:

Clinical:
- 1000+ scribing at a private medical office (1 year working full-time) where I have been able to shadow 5 physicians.

Research
- 300 hours in neuroscience lab (1 year). I had my own project but no publications/posters. Still had fun though.
- 60 hours in marine bio lab (1 summer). Basically just my intro to research.

Community Outreach
- 750 hours (1 year) working for a non-profit --> provided tutoring services to low-income, at-risk youth in my area

Teaching
- 100 hours peer-mentoring students within the biology department at my school.

Volunteering
- 100 hours volunteering at local hospital where I was able to communicate with patients directly.
- I was not able to put this on my application but I am currently training to volunteer at covid-19 testing sites in my area.

Other
- I was a member of my school's rowing team for 2.5 years. I received a couple of awards (1 academic, 1 performance-related) but I decided to walk away from the sport to focus on school (this is where the upward gpa trend comes from) and activities more closely related to medicine (why my EC's are somewhat mediocre).

I am planning to apply to almost every UC school in CA but I am unsure about where to go from there. I am open to any guidance/insight others may have. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
The UCs
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
Vermont
Boston University
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Western Michigan
St. Louis
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Duke
Georgetown
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
TCU-UNT
Seton Hall

I suggest these schools with your stats:
The UCs
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
Vermont
Boston University
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Western Michigan
St. Louis
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Duke
Georgetown
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
TCU-UNT
Seton Hall
Thank you for your response. This was very helpful! From your experience, would you also recommend that I apply DO as well?