Apr 25, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I am a non-trad, non-URM DC resident with ties to SC and OH. Just got my MCAT score back and I am happy with it, but it also casts some doubt on my school list. Thank you for your time.

Good-
-521 MCAT
-Several thousand hours of non-clinical volunteering. Many through AmeriCorps, other experiences as well.
- 800ish hours of direct patient contact, mostly scribing with a little shadowing.
- 5+ years of work experience with a non-profit, leadership positions
- 2 years other work experience, leadership and potentially unique/interesting (YadcomMMV)

Bad-
- 3.3-3.4 sgpa and cpa after post-bacc. undergrad was 2.3 sgpa (3 classes) and 3.2 cgpa. AACOMAS is ~3.5-3.6
- Blew one class in post-bacc with a D. Retaken for an A, A in lab. This drags down my Post-Bacc to ~3.5
- No research of any kind. I am looking for a part-time position during the cycle. Main focus will have to be on paying the bills however.
- Applying late. Application can go out with my last grade on Monday. Secondaries pre-written. Still later than ideal clearly.

Schools-
MD
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
GW
Georgetown
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Tulane
NYMC
Oakland Beaumont
Homer Stryker
MUSC- Reach for ties to area
Ohio State- Reach for ties
Quinnipiac

Possible Adds-
Miami Miller
BU
Tufts
UCSF
UCF
Keck
Cincinnatti
Mayo
USUHS- yes, I know mil med

DO

KCUMB
CCOM
AZCOM
NOVA
LECOM-B
CUSOM
PCOM
ATSU-SOMA
RVU
Touro-NY

Other questions:
- How does this affect with me with DO schools? Likely to get passed over due to MCAT?
- Is the ability to send update letters and talk in interviews about research worth my time this year? As I said, the more money I can make the better.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
You're fine for any DO school. We don't practice resource protection.

For MD, I recommend

Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
GW
Georgetown
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Tulane
NYMC
Oakland Beaumont

Miami Miller
BU
Tufts
USUHS- yes, I know mil med

DO

KCUMB
CCOM
AZCOM
NOVA
LECOM-B
CUSOM
PCOM
ATSU-SOMA
RVU
Touro-NY

No and no
- Is the ability to send update letters and talk in interviews about research worth my time this year? As I said, the more money I can make the better.[/QUOTE]

OP
JesseVenturaMD
Apr 25, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you @Goro . Could you tell me why you deleted Rush specifically? I thought my service background might be a good fit there.

Any suggestions on other MD schools to add as a discordant stats applicant? I might pare down a few DO schools I'm not sold on. Einstein maybe? Or is my list pretty much at the upper reaches already?

About the Ads

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
While it's difficult to predict how schools will react to your profile( particularly the D in the post Bacc combined with the 521) The MD schools on your list generally speaking are not high yield choices for someone with your stats. Me personally I would go through MSAR and find schools with an mcat median mcat of roughly 34 that get <11k apps( ie Miami Tulane Wake Hofstra Tufts types not RFU GW NYMC types)

OP
JesseVenturaMD
Apr 25, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Interesting. So ignore my GPA fit to some extent, and look more towards the Hofstra, SLU, Einstein, Emory type of school?

Thank you both. I will come back with a revised school list when things settle down that has a little more variety top to bottom.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Haven't a clue as to why I deleted Rush; that has to be on your list!!

I'm not sanguine on MD schools overall for you because of your uneven post-bac performance. You have indeed aced MCAT, but you needed to ace the post-bac as well. Hence, I'm more conservative in my suggestions. But also try Albany, Netter and Creighton.

Thank you @Goro . Could you tell me why you deleted Rush specifically? I thought my service background might be a good fit there.

Any suggestions on other MD schools to add as a discordant stats applicant? I might pare down a few DO schools I'm not sold on. Einstein maybe? Or is my list pretty much at the upper reaches already?

OP
JesseVenturaMD
Apr 25, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Trying to take a combination of @Goro and @GrapesofRath advice, I present my updated list. I'm shooting for volume on "low" stat schools with some reaches that don't have incredibly high median GPA's. Current plan would be 25 MD and 5 DO, which has me pulling a few more schools from my reach list. Would love to hear @gyngyn thoughts as well. Thank you all and have a great week.

MD-22
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
GW
Georgetown
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Tulane
Einstein
NYMC
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
Miami Miller
BU
Tufts
USUHS

Possibles more towards the Grapes of Wrath zone (higher MCAT medians, <11k applications)-
Emory
Hofstra
Keck
UNC
Dartmouth
SUNY Downstate
Case (would probably be the worst $38+ I have ever spent)

I'll save Albany and Creighton for a theoretical and hopefully not at all necessary next cycle due to location preference.

DO
KCUMB
CCOM
NOVA-SE
PCOM
RVU

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
The number of applicants with an application this uneven is very small.
Their outcomes are impossible to interpret.
This is one of the rare cases where a broad application (emphasizing local schools) is all we can advise.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Your ties to SC and OH aren't real unless you grew up there or went to college there. Gramma living there doesn't count.

I believe that Case, SUNY, Hofstra, Einstein, Keck and Emory would merely end up being donations.

Strongly suggest that you add more DO schools. Beggars can't be choosy.

MD-22
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
GW
Georgetown
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Tulane
Einstein
NYMC
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
Miami Miller
BU
Tufts
USUHS

Possibles more towards the Grapes of Wrath zone (higher MCAT medians, <11k applications)-
Emory
Hofstra
Keck
UNC
Dartmouth
SUNY Downstate
Case (would probably be the worst $38+ I have ever spent)

I'll save Albany and Creighton for a theoretical and hopefully not at all necessary next cycle due to location preference.

DO
KCUMB
CCOM
NOVA-SE
PCOM
RVU[/QUOTE]

Reactions: chemguy79
OP
JesseVenturaMD
Apr 25, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Your ties to SC and OH aren't real unless you grew up there or went to college there. Gramma living there doesn't count.

I believe that Case, SUNY, Hofstra, Einstein, Keck and Emory would merely end up being donations.

Strongly suggest that you add more DO schools. Beggars can't be choosy.
Check and check on the ties. Understood on the rest. Thank you both for your time and advice.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Your ties to Ohio and SC will be a major factor in your outlook this cycle.
UNC unofficially has a 3.6/33 OOS cut off. CWRU without research exp isn't a good use of an app
Your current list has alot of schools that traditionally dont target people with your stats but as gyngyn said above it's very hard to predict what will and won't be a target school.
All all I'll say is I wouldn't use MSAR GPA 10th percentile GPA cut offs as some form of absolute strict cut off(ie it doesnt make sense to include Miami and Boston U but not something like Einstein or Hofstra)
The broader your MD list both in terms of number of apps and types of schools you target the better. I hate using anecdotes as a basis for anything but I know multiple people who've applied with this kind of uneven record before. The schools that gave them interest were mostly higher stat ones( ie Hofstra Tufts Ohio St etc) than your generic run of the mill lower tiers your MCAT is well above the 90th.
You are a good SMP candidate if you strike out this cycle for MD schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: JesseVenturaMD
About the Ads