Medical Low GPA - How should I move forward to pursue medicine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am hoping to eventually apply to medical school (MD or DO) but I want to make the most efficient and smart choices moving forward. I did poorly in undergrad and only got a 2.5 GPA. Since I graduated 2017 I have logged 1000+ clinic hours, 1000+ hours of clinical research and almost 1000 of various volunteering hours.
In addition, I have taken some classes at a CC while doing all of this and recieved A's in Medical Microbio, Anatomy, and Biology. I also took a practice MCAT "cold turkey" and got a 500 (currently signed up for MCAT in Aug) I know that my undergrad grades are a reflection of my maturity not my intellect and I hope to be able to convey this in an app.

I do not really know where to go as far as post bacc or SMP (if I can get in). I have heard that SMP are make or break and a post bacc will not move the GPA far enough. SMP or post bacc are also really expensive and I want to make sure that it is the best move before going that route. I do not know which is more beneficial.
I know that I am going to work hard and do well in either post bacc or SMP. I would like some guidance with choosing between the two. Are there any other things I can do? What are my chances in different scenarios etc? What routes to take if I do well on MCAT and if I do not do so well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Quoting @Goro : read Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention .

Members don't see this ad.

With that low of a GPA, your only avenue in my opinion is an SMP. But that said, that chance is probably narrower than the chances of Tulsi Gabbard getting the Democratic nomination... Oh, she dropped out???

More information on your background is necessary. You graduated from college in 2007 and got thousands of hours working in clinical environments and volunteering. Could you go into more detail about this? I don't know about your CC courses because you haven't indicated whether those classes were appropriate for science majors or nursing majors (there's a big difference with rigor, and more nursing students generally take those classes you listed). I don't know if you live in California where you probably can't take postbac classes at a university unless it's an extension program.

I did read @Goro post about re-invention and that was part of the reason I felt I needed more clarity.
I graduated in 2017 with a Bio degree and have been working in an ophthalmology clinic as a scribe which is where the hours come from. Following that I moved into a clinical research coordinator position there where I gained a lot of valuable experience about healthcare, patient care and trials. I am currently still working as a coordinator.

For volunteering it is split between STEM tutor at a local high school, volunteering at a child abuse center with children and giving educational talks about diabetes.

The CC classes I took were geared toward science majors if I am not mistaken, although I believe nursing majors can enroll in these as well. I do know that the classes I took were the highest level/rigorous that the school offered.

I am in CA so the post bacc route would be difficult here unless it was a DIY. Given the GPA it is hard to even have the requirements to apply to CA post baccs in the first place.

Given what I mentioned is SMP still the best option? Should I not consider post bacc at all? Lastly, even doing well in an SMP (3.6+ GPA) what do the chances look like for someone in my situation.

Thanks Again
If you do well in an SMP, and on the MCAT chances are good!

Status
Not open for further replies.