low gpa, interested in MD- advice for FL/MO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowsnowbell

Reaction score
Hoping for some realistic advice about my chances of an MD program/what i need on the MCAT

my stats:
  1. cGPA: 3.5 and sGPA: 3.3 (not unlikely that I could end UG with a 3.55-3.6 GPA)
  2. MCAT unknown as of yet
  3. FL/MO residency
  4. highly selective undergrad
  5. Clinical experience: Kidney disease screening group, EMT certified (not practicing)
  6. Shadowing: general practice, sexual health, osteopathy, rheumatology - 25-30 hours total
  7. Other extracurricular activities: 2 internships (both more public health focused), worked all 4 years of college in 4 different jobs, leadership position in a public health club, involved with the community programming board of my school
  8. Study abroad: 1 of 16 admitted to a specialized pre-medical/CH program in the UK
  9. already planning a gap year with either scribing or clinical research. Planning to add more volunteer work also over the next two years and possibly some work in clinical research

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would not consider that a true upward trend. An upward trend is more like a 3.2 to a 3.8.

FL is a better state in which to establish residency (if you have the option) because there are so many state schools.

Your GPA will hold you back at most MD schools, so you will want to have great ECs (minimum 150+ clinical and non-clinical hours each and 40+ shadowing including a PCP) and at least a 510 to be competitive at your state MD programs.

Optimally, if you got a 515, 60 shadowing hours, 200 clinical hours, and 200 non-clinical volunteer hours, I think you’d have a pretty good shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not consider that a true upward trend. An upward trend is more like a 3.2 to a 3.8.

FL is a better state in which to establish residency (if you have the option) because there are so many state schools.

Your GPA will hold you back at most MD schools, so you will want to have great ECs (minimum 150+ clinical and non-clinical hours each and 40+ shadowing including a PCP) and at least a 510 to be competitive at your state MD programs.

Optimally, if you got a 515, 60 shadowing hours, 200 clinical hours, and 200 non-clinical volunteer hours, I think you’d have a pretty good shot.

If I got in the 3.8-4.0 range for my last year do you think that would help my chances? Should I rule out applying out of state bc of my stats?

If I got in the 3.8-4.0 range for my last year do you think that would help my chances? Should I rule out applying out of state bc of my stats?
The high gpa would definitely help your chances. If you could end ug with a 3.6, that would improve your chances at MD big time. However, all of this depends on your MCAT score. It is the single most important part of your application. If you get a 515+, you will have a solid shot at plenty of OOS schools. With a 510+, you will have a decent shot at low tier OOS private schools. Anything beneath that, I would focus primarily on your application for DO schools since your GPA is already sub-optimal.

A couple things: Your EMT certification will really be of no value on your application unless you work as an EMT. Also, your study abroad in and of itself is likely not a big application booster either. In this program, did you serve those in need? Did you shadow physicians?

Not saying these things to put you down but I want you to have a realistic view about what on your application will have any value to adcoms. If you aren't applying for two more years, then you have enough time to get the experiences you should have before applying, but as it stands now you don't have enough shadowing, clinical experience, or volunteer experience.

Like I said, you have time to get those hours in, but just make sure you don't rush yourself. Are you planning to be applying during the same year that you're working as a scribe or a research assistant? If so just know that those hours won't officially be included in your application, but rather in the "What will you be doing this year?" secondary app answers. This is not ideal because as it stands you would have barely any clinical experience on your application other than in the form of secondary essays and updates. You want a lot of clinical experience on your AMCAS app.

One other note, I personally don't really think doing research would be worth your time if it meant not being able to get 200+ clinical hours, 100+ volunteer hours, and 50+ shadowing hours. Especially because with your stats you will likely not be competitive for the research-heavy top tier schools.

EDIT: Lastly, nothing is really relevant until you've taken the MCAT. If you scored a 525 then you'd be very competitive for a lot of good MD schools. 498 and its a discussion about whether you should even apply or take another year to retake the MCAT. Moral of the story, this is a premature WAMC post lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.